Non-wargamer and gloat

My knowledge of WWII units is pretty much nil. I know Bazookas take out armoured vehicles, MG take out infantry, infantry take out bazookas etc.

I was very worried that this lack of knowledge would ruin Combat Mission for me.

Having played the demo I have found... It doesn't really matter. The feedback from LOS (or is it target?) shows me everything I need. Obviously I might be limited slightly when making plans but, due to FOW, I have no idea what units will discover anyway so have to plan for each possibility.

Anybody in the same position found areas of the game where their lack of knowledge has caused problems?

Now the gloat.

I have played Last Defence 4 times. 2 axis and 2 allies. Currently 2-2 winning and losing with both sides.....

I have not even LOADED the second scenario yet.So BTS... no hurry. I'm taken care of for another week or so.

Everybody else... you should really save some sweets for later rather than scoffing them all at once....

I dont know if it would be better termed a lack of knowledge about the Hellcat or percieved knowledge of the Tiger but either way I got roasted a few times thinking my Tiger would have little difficulty dealing with the puny American vehicles...

Another area I'm still having trouble with is gauging ranges visually.

On a side note, this 3d is really cool. I haven't looked inside CM and probably wouldn't understand it if I did but it sure feels good. When I played Close Combat I didn't gripe about elevations that much, you take what you can get, but now that I've played CM the lack of 3D in CC is very apparent. Thanks BTS, your efforts are appreciated smile.gif

tgra,

Youa asked, "Anybody in the same position found areas of the game where their lack of knowledge has caused problems?"

Lokesa brings up an excellent point about perceived knowledge many of us thought we had. This discussion board had many a discussion about various facets of battle field realities. One such topic was artillery. My conclusion, prior to Combat Mission, was that Artillery was useless. And that Tanks were basically unstoppable. Of course, having learned from wargames, the opposition could throw every it had against the tank and then possibly destroy it. These misconceptions came from very unrealistic wargames (most seem to be). So, over the last year, I prepared myself for the upcoming Combat Mission, I learned from this discussion board (many experts here with first hand knowledge) and read some books.

Even though I basically understood what really worked and what didn't, I still expected the Tiger tank to walk right into town and clean house in Combat Mission.

Here I am heading into a small town near Normandy, on August 6, 1944. Some 9 or 10 minutes into my advance, I had realized that all my preperations had paid off. The invincible German Wehrmacht (German Army) would dominate. The fatherland would remain all-powerful. I am the boss. Yeahh baby. Here comes the big daddy Tiger. You can see from my screen names I kinda like Tigers, and I must say still believed it was basically unstoppable. And then, enter the Hellcat. I hear Boom Bam Boom KaPow, I hear the god awful shell penetration sound and I realize then that I am not invincible. My Tiger and both Stugs were knocked out. My initial reaction (first two seconds) was no way, that can't happen - I am invincible. Two seconds later I remembered all I had been reading and everything I know now to be true about axis and allies armor and I laughed like a madman.

I think wargames have inaccurately portrayed the things like artillery and tanks in the past.

tgra, I think you are lucky to be able to learn the various WWII units while playing a War Game that accurately portrays the various units.

Many of us that thought we knew what each unit did or didn't do, we will have to unlearn the misconceptions we picked up from other WWII games, and then learn correct unit function over time. You have the good fortune of learning it from Combat Mission.

For your information: LOS = Line of Sight and refers to your units and the oppositions units to see each other. For example, your machine gun crew may have line of sight (LOS) on the oppositions infantry in the little Brick house and they have Line of Sight on the approaching tank and they have Line of Sight on the Forward Observer who is eerily too far forward.

Check out Moon and Fionn's turn-by-turn detailed description of the battle as it happened in Combat Mission. You can learn a lot, I know I did.

Go here:

http://combathq.thegamers.net/whatsnew.html

Make sure to select Battle Reports.

From these battle reports, you can learn how to lead an elite well armored force directly into an artillery barrage followed by repeated attacks from the incredible airborn tank killer. (just kidding)

Keep enjoying the game and you've got an easier road ahead of you than many of us.

Sincerely,

Richard Kalajian

Hi Chaps,

Playing a game that has 'pixel' LOS is very strange. I programmed quite a bit in my Amiga days and LOS was pretty easy using hexes (or tiles in my case). However, hiding behind a house in CM does not mean you are hidden which is superb.

I spent ages setting up an ambush only to be flanked and slaughtered because I did not consider elevation from that hill on the left (from US perspective).

I am currently playing the Last Defence again as the Germans. I had to save last night but 'think' I am in a great situation. Trying to get to sleep I started thinking... "Bugger, I've got no cover on that building to the left" and had to reboot to sort it out there and then.

As if the little chaps were going to carry

on without me!!!

Anyway, I creeping along the right flank to that hillside with Infantry and Machine gun with a Stug covering the wall line.

The troop carriers are waiting in the start-up positions as 'semi-reserve' and to move on the row of houses on the left.

The Tiger and other Stug are on the central road covering troop movements through the woods before the treeline.

I've played 5 turns AND....

Not seen a single Yank and not been fired on at all..... very spooky!!!

Can they see my 'creeping' troops... I don't think so... I don't know... I'm worried.

LOL KingTiger..

let's just say that without Jabos around my tanks are making some of my enemies weep wink.gif

Seriously though, the PBEM games are EXCELLENT teaching and learning tools.. I'm playing some now and I'm going to post the movies to the net for download along with AARs and analysis at the end of the game.. I think they'll help some people who still are stuck with unrealistic expectations to function more fully in the WW2 battlefield.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Bryan Corkill

Kingtiger, I have had the exact opposite problem. I always new what units should and shouldn't do, I just spent alot of time saying 'No F***ing way' to games (even the ones I love). My adjustment is to remember to loosen up, things DO work like they should, don't worry, command...