ATI XClaim - Ja oder Nein?

Hey, all...

I suspect this question may have already been asked, but I'd rather ask it again any way than to go through 1000+ old threads. >Sheesh<! there's a lot of trafic here!

Anyways...

I just got this ATI XClaim 3D card from a friend. He had it in a PowerMac which he wound up trashing, but the card was still good. It's installed and running great...I was looking forward to getting some higher frame rates out of the CM demo game. Imagine my disappointment when all that came up was a blank screen. I could still press "invisible buttons", as I could hear the bleeps and blips when I click into open space, and I guess I hit "Start" one time where I could actually start hearing machine guns, etc. My question is this: Is there a compatibility issue with CM running on the XClaim 3D card from ATI? I do believe it has full Rave support, and I have seen other messages saying that it works fine on the XClaim 128 (a newer version of what I aparently have now). I'm downloading the latest drivers as I'm writing this, so hopefully the problem could solve itself. I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced any issues with this.

Any help appreciated...

I'm running CM just fine on a PowerMac 7600, using an ATI XClaim VR.

Do you know if your XClaim 3D card is using the Rage Pro chipset or the older Rage II? I'm not sure how you tell, but if it's more than say 2 years old, it's probably Rage II. My VR uses the Rage Pro.

BTS, will CM run on Rage II?

Also, how much memory does your XClaim 3D have? (The "3D Memory" section of the ATI Displays control panel can tell you how much) If it's 4 Meg or less, maybe reducing your monitor resolution will help?

Mark

Guest Big Time Software

Yes, CM should run on any RAGE chip PROVIDED that there is enough VRAM. Some of the earlier/cheaper chips were stuck with terrible VRAM. My RAGE IIc has only 2MB and that is below the 4MB min. We also have a Xclaim VR and it runs fine.

Make sure you have the RAVE extensions. ATI has a universal installer that will stick them in. That should do it.

Steve

In answer to various questions posted on replies, I believe it's Rage II, not Rage Pro, and it only currently has 4MB of VRAM. To update, I DID manage to get it to run when running the universal updater from ATI, but the graphics looked significantly...crappier...then they did with the other card I was using (an older, standard ATI video card). Yes, it's much faster now, but the details were significantly lessened, even when I set the 3D render quality in the ATI control panel to high. I can't make out the faces on the soldiers anymore, and the roads and fields look extremely blocky and pixelated.

The card I installed caused other problems around my system, and I suspect I'll probably remove it anyway. It caused ATM, Adobe Acrobat, and all Aladdin Stuffit software on my box to crash and burn, and other applications Error-2 and Error-3 on a dime, now. -sigh- I might have to get a newer card anyway. Thanks for everyone's input, however. It is appreciated.

Guest Big Time Software

This is due to "downsampling" because there is more textures than 4MB of RAM can handle. So basically CM reduces the quality of the graphics to fit in the 4MB of space. This is why 4MB is the minimum and 8MB is recomended smile.gif

Steve