I wonder where the air support went?

Which campaign are you referring to? Not all campaigns get air support. If you're due some, it will show in the "Air support" menu that's accessed by clicking the plane symbol in a FO's unit data pane. Air support is only accessible by actual Forward Observers; even Bttn HQs don't have the right comms gear... So if you didn't have any FOs left you might not have noticed that the planes were available.

I just did some searching around, and it seems the version of "Road to Montebourg" that comes with the game doesn't include air support - that's strange?

Paper Tiger apparently made a revised version that includes CAS in several missions (http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=2082)

Too bad I played the old version then :/ Maybe I'll go back and replay it at some point.

I just did some searching around, and it seems the version of "Road to Montebourg" that comes with the game doesn't include air support - that's strange?

Paper Tiger apparently made a revised version that includes CAS in several missions (http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=2082)

Too bad I played the old version then :/ Maybe I'll go back and replay it at some point.

I wouldn't bother. CAS is pretty rubbish most of the time. Certainly not worth replaying an entire campaign to see.

I wouldn't bother. CAS is pretty rubbish most of the time.

Which is as it should be, even if we don't like it that way. Tactical airpower was vastly more useful at the operational level than the tactical level. Some generals simply would not allow CAS in their divisional areas...or so I've heard. At this stage of the war and in the theaters covered so far it was just too tricky to get it to attack where it was meant to. Better to give the flyboys their own sandbox to play in where they can shoot at anything that moves with a pretty good assurance that it would be the enemy.

Michael

Why? It's just a campaign. Does it have every German AFV in it? Shore bombardment? Calliopes?

Which is as it should be, even if we don't like it that way. Tactical airpower was vastly more useful at the operational level than the tactical level. Some generals simply would not allow CAS in their divisional areas...or so I've heard. At this stage of the war and in the theaters covered so far it was just too tricky to get it to attack where it was meant to. Better to give the flyboys their own sandbox to play in where they can shoot at anything that moves with a pretty good assurance that it would be the enemy.

Not that I was trying to suggest anything different.

No, but before I bought the game, I read that it included air support. So I was wondering why none of the campaigns include it.

You do know there's more to the game than the campaigns, right?

BFC don't take the same approach to their campaigns as many other companies do. The campaigns are there to be played, not to teach you all the aspects of the game. Let's face it, a complete showing of everything in CM would make either a very long campaign indeed, or a succession of wierd mishmashes of units in fewer battles.

I guess it depends on how you see the game. Some probably see it as a virtual boxed wargame set, that supplies the pieces and ruleset, and then lets you play as many games with it as you like.

I'm more interested in the campaigns as an experience, leading my company through some harrowing days and seeing it through to the end without buying the farm. Tell Mary I love her and all that.

I guess it depends on how you see the game. Some probably see it as a virtual boxed wargame set, that supplies the pieces and ruleset, and then lets you play as many games with it as you like.

I'm more interested in the campaigns as an experience, leading my company through some harrowing days and seeing it through to the end without buying the farm. Tell Mary I love her and all that.

There are campaigns which do that. Still has nothing whatsoever to do with the presence or otherwise of TacAir. What point are you actually trying to make?

There are campaigns which do that. Still has nothing whatsoever to do with the presence or otherwise of TacAir. What point are you actually trying to make?

No reason to get grumpy my good man :)

The argument goes as follows:

1: I wonder why I didn't see any air support in the game after finishing the American campaigns.

2: You say that the air power is there, but apparently only for use in custom scenarios and multiplayer.

3: I say ok, that's too bad, since I'm just here for the campaigns. Would have been nice with a bit of CAS in the campaign. I wish I had known I had to download an updated version of "Road to Monteburg" before starting to play in order to get air support.

That's all... thanks for replying.