Task Force Raff tutorial mission question

Hey guys, I am up to the campaign Task Force Raff and I have a question. The manual states to move my scout into the observation post level 2 which I do. After they are placed they are supposed to reveal the enemy by the cross roads but they are not appearing. Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something. Please let me know.

Yeah... that's something that should really be updated in the manual. After the manual was published, the concealment offered by tree canopies was increased somewhat in a patch. This means that if you put a unit in the 2nd floor of the farmhouse as instructed, the probably won't spot much of anything in the distance by the crossroads as there are too many trees in the way.

Putting an OP in the farmhouse is still a good idea tactically as this position gives you good observation of the nearby hedgerow lines; it just doesn't give you good observation of the crossroads all the way in the distance.

So I would suggest making use of the negative information you now have -- the fact that the scout spotted nothing is an indication that it is unlikely there are any enemy units very nearby. This should allow you to advance with confidence through the nearby fields until you have reached more forward positions that have better observation of the crossroads. Just watch out for gaps in the hedgerows that create open lanes of fire to the area around the crossroads -- any enemy in the crossroads area will be able to see and shoot through these gaps. You're in the early "Move to Contact" phase of the battle, and ideally you want to spot the enemy before he spots you...

Wow, thank you. This game is hard but I really enjoy it. Ok back to the drawing board lol.

Let me ask one more thing. It says to move certain troops in the overwatch. But it appears the overwatch is an open field. So do I move them there or keep them behing the hedgegrows?

Definitely keep them behind the hedgerows; hedgerows provide very good cover and units can see through them as long as they're right up against them.

When looking for overwatch positions, what you're looking for are places that (a) have good Line-of-Sight and Line-of-Fire to likely enemy positions, but (B), provide as much cover as possible. So immediately behind a hedgerow is just about the ideal position for overwatch units.

Putting an OP in the farmhouse is still a good idea tactically...

This is also more generally true. Not always, but often. Emphasis, though, on the "O" (Observation). Any unit you are going to put in a place that can see a broad view is also potentially visible from many locations. And visible means targetable! And the most visible thing your troops ever do is shoot. So you don't want your Observation Post shooting at any old thing it spots, because that will (at least partially) negate the (generally pretty significant) concealment of the building they're in. This means that you should apply a small "Target Arc" (TA, also referred to as Covered Arc - CA) orders to your scouting and observation units so that they restrain their impulse to kill the enemy.

Giving your observers and scouts short segments of TA at their terminal waypoint also allows you to make sure they're looking out of the correct side of the building... At setup time it's probably a good idea to give them a 50-60m circular "self-defense" TA just in case.

The second most visible thing your guys do is move. For this reason, I try and always have my observers (little 'o' - they're not necessarily artillery-callin' Forward Observers) Slow into position. Most of the time you can Quick into the ground floor of a building, but if you go up the stairs at "Quick", I find you quickly get spotted and killed, so any vertical movement is done "Slow". I tend to give the last waypoint before the Slow a short circular TA, just big enough to cover the building.