A Couple of Questions

I was looking at the set up for a scenario and noticed some orange circles with crosses in the middle. Not sure what these represent but are these for pre-ranged artillery?

A question about spotting. After a spotter has called in artillery mission, what happens if that spotter gets killed or retreats to a position where it no longer has a line of sight to the point or area that the artillery is supposed to hit? Will the mission still go ahead?

Any help or comments would be much appreciated.

I was looking at the set up for a scenario and noticed some orange circles with crosses in the middle. Not sure what these represent but are these for pre-ranged artillery?

Yes. Its a TRP. Target reference point. It will increase units accuracy targeting the area (as long as they dont redeploy I believe). Artillery will be called in faster and the spotter dosent have to see the area.

A question about spotting. After a spotter has called in artillery mission, what happens if that spotter gets killed or retreats to a position where it no longer has a line of sight to the point or area that the artillery is supposed to hit? Will the mission still go ahead?

Any help or comments would be much appreciated.

If the spotter is killed you cant call the mission off. It will continue until finished. Once the mission has started you can move the spotter, he doesnt need LOS after mission start.

I think I have answered accurately. Sure to be corrected otherwise :)

Yes. Its a TRP. Target reference point. It will increase units accuracy targeting the area (as long as they dont redeploy I believe). Artillery will be called in faster and the spotter dosent have to see the area.

Additional: the TRP "works" over a radius of 50m; support called in that area will arrive without spotting rounds, as well as more quickly.

If the spotter is killed you cant call the mission off. It will continue until finished. Once the mission has started you can move the spotter, he doesnt need LOS after mission start.

This is true if the spotter is killed after he's asked for "Fire for effect" (FFE). It's also true that if the spotter is killed at any stage you can't actively ceasefire the mission. AIUI, there was a change which meant that if the spotter is killed before the call for FFE, the mission will eventually be cancelled because he's not reporting the splashes. Can take some time though.

The spotter needs LOS to the target area while the spotting rounds are falling (so you can tuck him out of the way while the battery is "recieving" or "preparing"). If the spotter's view of the area is poor, you may spend a lot of extra time in the Spotting phase as he tries to walk the rounds in, without being exactly sure of where they're landing.