Crash at startup

Hello. I just bought the game and get the following crash at startup:

Faulting application name: CM Shock Force.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4dff2fcd

Faulting module name: elicen40.dll, version: 4.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x3d86b216

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00025001

Faulting process id: 0x4098

Faulting application start time: 0x01cf117d64072ecc

Faulting application path: E:\Combat Mission Shock Force\CM Shock Force.exe

Faulting module path: E:\Combat Mission Shock Force\elicen40.dll

Report Id: a1b3baa3-7d70-11e3-8256-bcaec5231ff4

Demo worked just fine. I'm having this issue on a completly clean install of Windows 8.1 with no anti-viruses/firewalls/random-blockers etc. Read other threads that there might be some issue with the licensing service and a process named runservice.exe. Well I don't have a runservice.exe on Windows 8.1 Enterprise in c:\Windows. DEP and UAC is disabled and I'm running the app on admin account as administrator, even ran the installer as administrator. Also disabled Windows firewall and Windows Defender to no avail. There is also no service named LicCtrlService under services.msc. I feel like the runservice.exe never get installed when running CMSF_Setup.exe.

At the very first launch of the installed game window should pop up where you input your License key no? I never get that Window... just the crash report. Also tried reinstalling the game several times to no avail.

Any ideas? :)

/Carl

You will want to ENABLE DEP and then set an exception for the game executable ('CM Shock Force.exe'). The 'runservice.exe' file will NOT exist until you successfully activate the license (online or via the 'off-line' method involving a visit to the license.net website). At that point it gets silently downloaded and installed (to run as a 'service'). Once you have successfully activated the license key, then you will need to add the 'runservice.exe' to the list of exceptions for DEP.

You will want to ENABLE DEP and then set an exception for the game executable ('CM Shock Force.exe'). The 'runservice.exe' file will NOT exist until you successfully activate the license (online or via the 'off-line' method involving a visit to the license.net website). At that point it gets silently downloaded and installed (to run as a 'service'). Once you have successfully activated the license key, then you will need to add the 'runservice.exe' to the list of exceptions for DEP.

Sorry I haven't had time to fiddle with it yet on my Windows 8 machine. I think I have a pretty good understanding of what the problem is after successfully installing it in Windows 7. Seems there is something different about the way Windows 8 handles folder ownership. My guess is that the Windows folder is off-limits for the installer due to folder/user permission settings even when running it as administrator with a local administrator account.

The DEP settings/exclusions didn't make things different. I have been at the DEP settings before using another software and for some it seems to work with exclusions but to my knowledge it doesn't work well for everyone.

I will unlicense the game from this Windows 7 machine and then get it working on my Windows 8.1 machine somehow, thanks for the input.

Regards,

Carl

'Running as administrator' involves right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator" from the popup menu... that is what you mean by 'running as administrator', correct ?

I'm not sure what file/folder permissions can be different between Windows 8.x and Windows 7. If they are as onerous as you guess, that would make installing all sorts of programs problematic. If necessary create a directory of 'C:\CMSF' and install the game into that and see if it works. This should be an 'unprotected' directory that typically shouldn't involve UAC (but the registry changes that the licensing process involves will make you want to use 'run as administrator' anyway).

The error '0xc0000005' is HIGHLY indicative of either an issue with DEP settings or security software (in the case of eLicense protected games). Since you don't have security software installed at the moment, it would seem to point at an issue with DEP.