Unlimber AT gun, towed

[bangs his head on the computer desk]

Maybe I have been a dunce.

I have been having trouble positioning towed AT guns.

Maybe it is this: I drive up to where I want it, unlimber, and then move the gun to where I want it.

But...gee...maybe that is the wrong sequence? Am I supposed to move the gun, then unlimber.

"Unlimber" was not to me, obvious in its definition. [cue: Monty Python un-limb-er of the Black Knight]

[bangs his head on the computer desk]

Maybe I have been a dunce.

I have been having trouble positioning towed AT guns.

Maybe it is this: I drive up to where I want it, unlimber, and then move the gun to where I want it.

But...gee...maybe that is the wrong sequence? Am I supposed to move the gun, then unlimber.

"Unlimber" was not to me, obvious in its definition. [cue: Monty Python un-limb-er of the Black Knight]

I'm not quite sure what you're doing wrong, because my game doesn't have an "unlimber" command. When the gun is hooked up to its tow and the tow has completed its movement orders, there is a "dismount" command and a "Bail" command. There are also all the movement commands, (but you'll only move at Normal, whichever you pick).

Once you're unhooked from the tow, your gun is still "limbered". It says so on the status screen. It's depicted with the split trails together (if it has a split trail). To change that state you have to "deploy" it; that order will now be available to use. No crew served weapon, whether it be gun, mortar, machinegun can (currently) move while it is deployed. It will take the stated "Setup" time (or maybe more sometimes) to go from "limbered" to "deployed". It will then take the stated "packup" time to go from the static "deployed" state to the mobile "limbered" state.

So, I'm sure you can work it out for yourself, but the "correct" sequence once you're in play is: move the gun to where you want it, by whatever combination of towed and pushed movement suits the tactical environment, then deploy it.

During setup, it doesn't matter. You can Move your deployed ATGs anywhere within the setup zone and they'll teleport there and remain "deployed".

You should be aware that ATG which do not move from the setup phase gain a boost to their concealment (if they have any - it seems to be a multplier on their existing concealment rather than a flat bonus). Moving ATGs, while it can be done, tends to require just the right set of tactical conditions.

Edit: having mentioned the "Bail" command, I should point out that, while it acts as a "dismount" command if the gun is being towed, using it at any other time (including setup phase) while the gun is not being towed, will result in the crew irrevocably and irreversibly abandoning their gun. Exercise extreme caution when using this command.