Just did some testing with the new patch

I would like to thank the devs for a great patch.

My initial testing so far seems to indicate that the patch has improved real time performance by a huge margin. Even on the highest settings it seems all but the largest battles are responsive enough now to romp around that map at a reasonable pace selecting units.

A great result.

p.s. Selection boxes still annoy me as they do not start and finish where my mouse pointer starts and finishes. I imagine this is hex squares at play. i.e. start mouse selection to point and click actually means "select hex" rather than select men. So what I am actually doing is drawing a box around invisible hexes but am trying to draw a box around visible men.

Time compression would also be nice, but saving games makes not having this option no problem.

Some pictures of my brief test. I made sure I waited until the battle started proper to ensure that firefights were happening and sapping my frame rates well.

11141989403_d1a82110a3_b.jpg

11141839896_61b62154d5_b.jpg

11141838526_bb8b887ca5_b.jpg

11141835896_7bf2dd5ac6_b.jpg

11141835136_b13d05447b_b.jpg

During testing I actually found myself wanting to play more rather than jump out and test another scenario.

A very good sign. Usually I am more thinking "I really want to like this, but it's not really playable".

We will see whether the shine of the new patch remains over the next few weeks.

11141799025_c600bdffbb_b.jpg

11141982013_97b9518aa2_b.jpg

11141831896_8fe6da8302_b.jpg

11141979843_4bbd57c099_b.jpg

11141869764_831fd6bdc1_b.jpg

p.s. Selection boxes still annoy me as they do not start and finish where my mouse pointer starts and finishes. I imagine this is hex squares at play. i.e. start mouse selection to point and click actually means "select hex" rather than select men. So what I am actually doing is drawing a box around invisible hexes but am trying to draw a box around visible men.

I don't think this is the case. It seems to me to be a delay in recognising the "Shift" keypress. If you hold Shift for an instant before starting to left-click-drag your mouse, the box will originate where your cursor starts. IME. Still annoying, as often also is the disconnect between icons and actual truppen (the box has to catch the men on the ground, but the icons are often more visible...), but not, I think the consequence of the AS grid. Not sure why you'd have a delay on the recognition of the Shift, either, since it has no other function that I can think of than converting camera-panning click-drag into box-drawing click-drag, and I'd've thought you wanted that to be near instant.