Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Can You Order Infantry To Fire Rifle Grenades At Tanks?

No you cannot order the firing of rifle grenades. You can order a squad to fire at a target and *not* fire rifle grenades - Target Light does that.

Against tanks - they can work but they are not a very reliable way to take out tanks. I do not usually consider squads who still have rifle grenades as my first choice for AT duty.

Not sure about effective range. The good news is they work just as well if your guys can hit their target from 100m as the do from 50m. What does the manual say?

I usually just let the pixel troops pick their targets and do their own thing with rifle grenades.

Rifle grenades seem to be the most inaccurate weapon system modelled in the game, to me. Partly because I too often forget to make teams armed with the things Target Light (and you have to have them explicitly target something, or the Tac AI will squeeze them off with abandon, reckless to the fact that they will usually either carry twice the actual distance to the intended target, or fall half way to the target from the shooter), so there aren't any left to use at the short ranges when you can possibly hope they might hit something useful.

And then there's the once in a blue moon "Side turret: Penetration" hit that makes up for all the misses, because you've learnt that getting any use at all out of RGs is just gravy.

...they will usually either carry twice the actual distance to the intended target, or fall half way to the target from the shooter), so there aren't any left to use at the short ranges when you can possibly hope they might hit something useful.

I've had pretty good luck with them against personnel targets. Oddly enough the AI hasn't been so lucky against me. Just the luck of the draw, I guess, and the numbers governing where the thing falls must be radically random.

Michael

I've had pretty good luck with them against personnel targets. Oddly enough the AI hasn't been so lucky against me. Just the luck of the draw, I guess, and the numbers governing where the thing falls must be radically random.

Michael

Aye. The "scatter bracket" is pretty large, so even with a bell curve distribution across the range, you don't get many on target. I'd estimate (with all the inherent inaccuracy and bias of personal recall) that I'll get about 10% landing at the "right" range, when they usually get used (i.e. at over 100m range). When I can remember (and force the TacAI) to retain them til closer ranges, they're actually pretty good at turning suppression into fleeing.

There may have been some hyperbole in my previous post...