British police acronym definition help needed

John Kettler

Am watching the excellent British crime show DCI Banks. In it, some sort of higher order police unit referred to as soco or soccer has taken an interest in the case because the local investigations impinge on a huge case involving an MP.

So far, the closest I've been able to get to understanding the presumptive acronym is SOCO (Scene Of Crime Officer), somewhat akin to the American CSI. Obviously, that SOCO can't be right, for whatever it is that's intervened has resources Yorkshire's MCU (Major Crimes Unit) can only dream of, to include the ability to magically provide expensive electronic whiteboards despite severe budget problems at the MCU level.

Would someone from the U.K. please provide the correct acronym, definition and such so that I can more readily follow what seems to be a significant aspect of British police work?

Thanks!

Regards,

John Kettler

Speaking of acronyms... Cheka> NKGB>MGB>KGB. The Communists loved to keep their citizens off balance. Smart tactic! ;)

The KGB's successors are the secret police agency FSB (Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation) and the espionage agency SVR.

There was also OGPU, which succeeded Cheka.

Michael

Pak_43,

That's got to be it, and sch an organization could probably provide electronic whiteboards out of its paperclip budget and not miss it.

baron Jacquinot,

?

Childress,

Was about to mention the OGPU, but Michael Emrys got there first. Putin is indeed ex-KGB, which, I suspect, is rather like being ex-CIA! But all of us missed several more, as detailed in this short but useful compilation.

http://www.topspysecrets.com/kgb-history.html

Regards,

John Kettler

Cheka (December 1917)

GPU (February 1922)

OGPU (July 1923)

GUGB (July 1934)

GUGB (July 1941)

NKGB (April 1943)

MGB (March 1946)

MVD (March 1953)

Good, God, there were more acronyms than I realized. I maintain these numerous name changes represented an well conceived strategy designed to demoralize the Russian populace. Change, even nominalistic change, can be exceedingly disconcerting. Lenin and, to far greater degree, Stalin, were a master psychologists, veritable scientists of human nature.

• 2 weeks later...
Am watching the excellent British crime show DCI Banks. In it, some sort of higher order police unit referred to as soco or soccer has taken an interest in the case because the local investigations impinge on a huge case involving an MP.

So far, the closest I've been able to get to understanding the presumptive acronym is SOCO (Scene Of Crime Officer), somewhat akin to the American CSI. Obviously, that SOCO can't be right, for whatever it is that's intervened has resources Yorkshire's MCU (Major Crimes Unit) can only dream of, to include the ability to magically provide expensive electronic whiteboards despite severe budget problems at the MCU level.

Would someone from the U.K. please provide the correct acronym, definition and such so that I can more readily follow what seems to be a significant aspect of British police work?

Regards,

John Kettler

SOCA, Serious Organised Crime Agency. HQ in London, but with regional offices.

Ha! The plan is working! First blue jeans and Macdonald's, now pro football. Soon they won't be drinking anything but Budweiser and our takeover will be complete!

Baseball, too:

But it seems the Russians, damn them, got there first. Wiki:

Lapta (Russian: лапта́) is a Russian bat and ball game first known to be played in the 14th century. Mentions of lapta have been found in medieval manuscripts, and balls and bats were found in the 14th-century layers during excavations in Novgorod. It is similar to cricket, brännboll, Rounders, baseball, oină and pesäpallo.

According to Russian magazines Little Light and Izvestia, baseball was developed from lapta by 18th century Russian Americans.