24 back for Season 9

Childress

This time there'll be twelve episodes instead of the canonical twenty-four, apparently allowing Jack Bauer to spread his wings- geographically speaking. Loved the first five seasons, but then they went and made 6,7,and 8. Anybody here a fan?

Here's my review of Season 8 on Amazon:

The first five seasons of 24 remain, in this reviewer's opinion, the gold standard of the series in terms of intelligence, creativity, casting and emotional resonance; arguably the most riveting television ever. I gave them all 10 stars. These were very much the product of writer, co-creator and self-described Hollywood right-winger Joel Surnow and were adept at reversing liberal expectations, for example featuring a villainous-and black- First Lady, and imposing agonizing choices on the protagonists. When Surnow's full time commitment ended following the fifth season the franchise shed a dozen IQ points. But 24 still scored as more entertaining than your average fare thanks to the compelling format he devised with Robert Cochran and the always reliable Kiefer Sutherland.

Critics and many fans considered Season 6, featuring Jack Bauer's pathological family (who knew?), a misfire. The chastened producers were determined to right the ship and the first half of Season 7, set in Washington DC, re-captured some of the old magic (Surnow returned as exec- producer for the fist eight episodes) before entropy set in and the show collapsed into terminal silliness (those ridiculous missiles!).

Season 8, now re-located to New York City, starts lethargically but generates electricity as it builds. CTU resurfaces in a whiz-bang setting and Sutherland contributes a driving performance, some say to the point of stepping out of character and damaging the Bauer brand in his character's quest for vengeance. The season makes little use of NYC exteriors but that doesn't much matter as the bulk of the action plays out, in traditional 24 style, inside offices, parking structures, warehouses and behind the tinted windows of SUVs. Heavy demands are placed on the viewer's common sense (the early seasons sold their improbabilities better) and plot warhorses stampede again, e.g. 'the mole', but you get your money's worth. Get ready for Season 9...

• 2 weeks later...

Childress,

Well done, sir! I used to watch the show religiously, but I gave up when it seemed like every week was another virus hunt--and that was before Granada Hills, California, a place I've been in a bunch and where a dear friend grew up, got nuked by terrorists. That was the last straw for me. No idea what season that was.

Didn't know "24" was still airing, but if they've somehow managed to get it off the rocks and back on course, that's a good thing. Now, if they have a network crossover episode in which Jack Bauer of CTU has to work with Annie Walker of the CIA's DPD ("Covert Affairs" USA Network)...

Meanwhile "Burn Notice" is almost over for good. It's mandatory viewing for spooks, much like the "Mission: Impossible" TV series was decades ago. Back then, the CIA's spooks would see some cool gadget on MI the night before, then march into Technical Services Directorate (CIA's "Q" facility, if you will) to demand either the same thing or something similar.

Anyone contemplating intelligence field work who watches "Burn Notice" will be quickly disabused of the whole James Bond nonsense and will soon grok that field work is nasty, dangerous, soul-crushing business. Based on direct interview experience with the CIA in the early 1980s for what was then called a case officer trainee slot, I can flatly state that prospects who arrive for interview clear they're not going to be James Bonds are greeted with delight, especially when they arrive already possessing security clearances.

Regards,

John Kettler

Childress,

and that was before Granada Hills, California, a place I've been in a bunch and where a dear friend grew up, got nuked by terrorists. That was the last straw for me. No idea what season that was.

That was Season 6 when 24, in network parlance, 'jumped the shark'.

24 isn't for everybody. There's a decided fantasy element present. Aficionados of rigorous realism should check out The Wire. Or the gaudy Shield which reveled in depicting L.A.'s violent underclass as it really is. Political correctness be damned. My current favorite is Breaking Bad- fantastic writing, plotting and characterizations. But everyone alive digs that show. We're living in the Golden Age of episodic TV series.

I should mention that I and a friend ran into Kiefer Sutherland in a supermarket parking lot last year.He was busy loading his SUV with grocery bags. To my mortification my friend requested an autograph which he graciously supplied. He's a skinny, shortish dude which was surprising. His father, Donald Sutherland, is 6'4".

Meanwhile "Burn Notice" is almost over for good. It's mandatory viewing for spooks, much like the "Mission: Impossible" TV series was decades ago.

I'll have to take your word for it. Every disc I got from Netflix had playback issues.

Loved The Wire! Thought it was excellent. Details are hazy, but the Shield was good, too. Did that one have the guy from The Commish in it? Have seen a bit of Breaking Bad, but used to watch Sons of Anarchy religiously. As for Burn Notice, you can watch a full episode on the USA Network site, plus other online resources. Must be aggravating as all get out to have disc after disc glitch and be unwatchable! I knew Kiefer Sutherland wasn't all that tall, but was absolutely clear his dad was a tall, slim dude.

Regards,

John Kettler

Yes, that was Michael Chiklis. LOL, almost typed Dukakis.

I knew Kiefer Sutherland wasn't all that tall, but was absolutely clear his dad was a tall, slim dude.

Height is the first thing I notice when meeting a celeb, inevitable in Los Angeles. I'm 6'1" easily 3-4 inches taller than Sutherland. But he's not Tom Cruise short.

In the late 70s I shook hands with Charlton Heston at his Coldwater Canyon spread. My sister was sponsoring a charity tennis event and he had been playing on his private court. Heston was a huge guy, 6'3" plus with the shoulders of a linebacker. He was followed around by a tiny black servant bearing a tray holding a pitcher of martinis and glasses cum olives. His booming, Mt. Sinai voice was unforgettable.

• 2 weeks later...

Childress,

A longtime friend of mine was watching a show at the Schubert Theater in Los Angeles decades ago and found himself being talked across (was between them) mega actor Charlton Heston and the great director John Ford! Speaking of Heston, he looked like a giant when in frame with Michael Moore for Bowling for Columbine.

Regards,

John Kettler