I need some therapy

Even better: A designer can deploy the units within the steup zones, to give the player one version of a good deployment that can be played right out of the box. Then it's easier for players to tweak it to their liking by shifting a few units around. Or the players can start from scratch and make their own deployment if they want to spend the time.

Better still, for all scenarios and QBs the units begin not on the map, but in a separate, scrollable, resizable window that can be dragged to any part of the screen. This window would contain all the units, nicely organized within their parent organizations. One could select one or as many as the player wishes by Shift-Clicking on them and then place them within the set up zone by clicking on the map. That way, the set up zone stays uncluttered until the player has chosen spots for the units.

Michael

I go about it in basically the same way as Ian described, but let me add a few tips that make things go smoother in getting organized, and some things you should remember during setup. Just as in chess the “opening” deployment can make all the difference. The less smooth the opening, then the less smoothe the middle game (where the fighting takes place) will be. This is especially critical in meeting engagement battles.

*Use a top down view 6+ to separate the force into its groups. Double click, and or use the shift button to select groups, and make a formation starting with highest rank at the rear center. Using the top down, and organizing in a planned formation makes it quick to just get the force in organized order.

· Stock up on ammo. Rotate the force into vehicles to get AT weapons, and extra small arms ammo. Set up is the easiest time to supply. Here is where acquiring from outside the vehicle would be very handy.

· Think about C2 into the game. Do I really need to drive that HQ around in the jeep, or should I leave it with the mortars to use the radiThink about logistics. Who should be loaded into vehicles if there are any.

· Remember to pack up heavy weapons first before giving move orders, then issue again. Otherwise they will have to spend time to get moving. Time is always a factor.

Better still, for all scenarios and QBs the units begin not on the map, but in a separate, scrollable, resizable window that can be dragged to any part of the screen. This window would contain all the units, nicely organized within their parent organizations. One could select one or as many as the player wishes by Shift-Clicking on them and then place them within the set up zone by clicking on the map. That way, the set up zone stays uncluttered until the player has chosen spots for the units.

Michael

That could be another function for setup phase of the "Roster" concept I presented.

ROSTERFINAL.jpg

Use a top down view 6+ to separate the force into its groups. Double click, and or use the shift button to select groups, and make a formation starting with highest rank at the rear center. Using the top down, and organizing in a planned formation makes it quick to just get the force in organized order.

This is something I usually do. However, having limited space in a cramped set up zone and the units of a platoon scattered all over it, can make this awkward to say the least. There is considerable room for improvement here.

Michael

Agreed. I often have a convoy with an awkward L shape to it due to restricted setup space.

Here is where a "Follow" command would really streamline logistics. With it working as I envision to move that convoy in column formation all one would have to do is issue the move orders to the lead unit instead of having to plot a bunch of waypoints for each unit in the convoy.

Here is how it would make life SO much easier, and MUCH less tedious to move columns:

Unit Alpha is in the lead, and move orders are plotted along a road. Unit Bravo is 10m away from Unit Alpha, and is ordered to “Follow” unit A. Unit Charlie 10m away from Bravo, and is ordered to “Follow” unit B.

Unit Alpha’s starting point becomes unit Bravo’s first waypoint, and so on. The following unit follows the plotted path of the unit to be followed, and maintains its interval distance when the order was first issued. When unit Alpha stops, unit Bravo will stop 10m behind it on the plotted path of Alpha. Unit Charlie will stop when it is 10m behind Bravo, and so on..

The “Follow” order should be something BF plans to implement. In fact of we were to only get one more order I would want it to be “Follow”.

I have actually never had problems with setting up huge battles, but what i DO have problems with is the execution of the battleplan.

There are always so many troops that i inevitably forget some parts of my force for a few turns now and then.

That really puts a strain on the entire battle usually.

Not to mention that i have to re-watch the action sequence a couple of times for each turn meaning it takes almost 10 minutes to do a 1 minute turn.

This makes the battle drag out forever.

This is why i prefer smaller battles. Or larger tank-heavy battles (since they are easier to handle)

I prefer when attack or meet scenarios have the platoons clumped together somewhat with separation between platoons so when I double click on HQ's I don't have to go far looking for the Org chart.

Also I recommend saving immediately after you get your troops all squared away at the start of the game.

Also I recommend saving immediately after you get your troops all squared away at the start of the game.

Absolutely. Goes without saying. I save when I have my troops arranged in the set up zone and then again after issuing orders. I also save at the end of every orders phase. Never know when the power might go out and I'd hate to lose all that work.

Michael