Sound naming schema

poesel

How does the naming schema for sounds work? There are sounds with an appended number, some with an appended letter and some with both. In which case does CM consider a sound to be an alternative and when not? Can that be done with all sounds or just with those that have alternatives now?

Sorry, I couldn't find that in the manual.

numbered sounds (e.g. gun 0, gun 1, etc.) are selected randomly for the same sound event (e.g. firing of gun).

lettered sounds (e.g. explosion a, explosion B) are unique sounds assigned to particular events (e.g. "explosion a" is used when a small grenade/small cannon round explodes, "explosion b" for large grenades/small mortars, and so on). Some events may randomly select from several unique sounds (e.g. a mortar round exploding may randomly use "explosion b" or "explosion c"). This cannot be altered through modding. The only thing you can do is increase randomness for each sound by adding numbered variants (e.g. "explosion a 0," "explosion a 1," "explosion a 2," etc.)

I believe numbering can be used on any sound to add random selections except loops (background and vehicle).

the shock force some vehicles have their driving noises (m1, lav, leo2 etc)

pity that there is no such CMBN sounds for popular vehicles such as Sherman, PZ4, panther, etc.. :(

should add that option, and I'd do the sounds of these vehicles (such as mods to sound the shock force)

Thanks for the details akd. I have another question regarding number sequence. Is it always in the order 0, 1, 2 etc. Or does it sometimes start at 1 or 2? Im not only talking about sounds, but also uniforms, other skins and force specific backgrounds etc.

Reason I ask is I think Ive heard that if you dont do the sequence right, the mods wont load.

Im not sure how it works if you introduce a numbered version to a non numbered one tho.

If you just add the gun bren 0-8 files, the game might still use the gun bren file that is in the original.

Best to use one to override the original sound too (if you are thinking of adding more variations to a sound without variations i mean)

Im not sure how it works if you introduce a numbered version to a non numbered one tho.

If you just add the gun bren 0-8 files, the game might still use the gun bren file that is in the original.

Best to use one to override the original sound too (if you are thinking of adding more variations to a sound without variations i mean)

you can trust me, when you add the gun bren add 0-8 files, the game does not use the original sound - I spent with my mods for more than a month after 6-8 hours a day and I've never heard the original sound after adding a few sounds for one weapon, explosion, penetration etc.

you can trust me, when you add the gun bren add 0-8 files, the game does not use the original sound - I spent with my mods for more than a month after 6-8 hours a day and I've never heard the original sound after adding a few sounds for one weapon, explosion, penetration etc.

I was hoping to get that answer from you since i know you did numbered versions of almost all the sounds in the game.