Airborne Reinforcements

kid

I don't know if someone has asked this before but in a Airborne operation, do your reinforcements come in by parachute or glider? That would be really cool if they did.

If so, then is there a randomness of where they land, if everyone in the unit made it safely, and how much of their equipment they were able to recover?

Guest Big Time Software

Hehe... the second paragraph is exactly why we aren't doing what you asked about in your first smile.gif Airborne ops were uncommon to begin with, but a battle that had interesting CM style combat right at the LZ are very rare indeed. Usually there was nothing but confusion and individuals, or small clumps, running around shooting at each other. It took time to get formations into some sort of cohesive fighting formation, and that length of time is too long for an individual battle.

Steve

>>>>>>>>> Thanks. However, I do think a battle like that would be kinda cool. <<<<<<<<<

Well, the HPS game "Panthers in the Shadows" allows in-game airborne landings. You might want to try it if you can stomach its complete lack of sound, hexes, and cardboard-style graphics after seeing CM in all its 3D glory smile.gif.

BTW, PITS and TOP2 are the yardsticks I'm measuring CM's realism and detail (not eyecandy) by. CM seems to be holding up well in that department. Any other HPS players out there?

-Bullethead

RE: HPS games

Fionn said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Used to play. Hell I pre-ordered the original TOP 1 via trade magazine from across the Atlantic<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, good ol' TOP1. I fired it up the other day... 4 colors, EXTREME low res (hexsides about 10 pixels wide smile.gif ), but still a good game. I was a tester for PITS and TOP2 because Greg Smith of HPS was the CO of my Air Warrior squadron. Man, those are really good games. But CM kicks their ass in immersion. I kid Smith that CM is PITS only with sound and graphics smile.gif.

-Bullethead

I still play HPS games occasionally. I'm looking forward to POA II. This looks like a seriously hard-core sim, although I hope the interface is improved. I'd be even happier if they would ditch hexes, but that seems unlikley. frown.gif

Their new operational level game, Panzer Campaigns: Smolensk '41, has received a good review at Computer Games Online : 4 our of 5 stars.

www.cdmag.com

[This message has been edited by Brian Rock (edited 12-16-99).]

I'm going to be reviewing Smolensk 41 as soon as I get my copy (assuming no-one else at TGN bags to review it first)..

I'd like to review it though since it seems a nice game.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I'm going to be reviewing Smolensk 41 as soon as I get my copy (assuming no-one else at TGN bags to review it first)..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehehe, Fionn, go easy on my ol' bud Greg Smith. This is his first game where he's done more than research and data entry smile.gif. Think of his poor wife "Deathbunny" smile.gif.

Dunno when we'll see it, though. When I ordered it, they were hoping to ship 2 days ago but I haven't heard whether they did or not.

-Bullethead