60 Seconds of mayhem

Guest Big Time Software

Yes. And you can replay the action from any camera angle(s) you want as many times as you want with little VCR-style controls.

Charles

Guest Big Time Software

Nope, not in yet. Still on our list though smile.gif Probably impossible for us to have it go without a slight pause inbetween each 60 second segment though. But this is actually a good thing, IMHO, since it would show you when the players got a chance to issue new orders.

Steve

I agree with Steve..

A minor pause to show when the player's got to give out orders would be a good thing.. Otherwise you could get confused when the StuG you've been watching suddenly hares off in completely the opposite direction it was going ;).

yeah I think that's fine with the pause, as long as we can save a library of our most glorious Battles! :0 smile.gif

BTW how big are the replay files? Its just mainly data I assume, since CM does all the graphics on th fly - if so they would be relatively small. This bodes well, for an on-line area to upload the best battle movies smile.gif

CCJ

Guest Big Time Software

Depends on the size of the battle, number of units, ammount of shooting, quantity of orders issued, etc. The Movie files for this game range from around 200k to 800k. Turns without movies are under 30k.

Steve

>issued, etc. The Movie files for this game range from around 200k to 800k. Turns without movies are under 30k.

I assume you mean per turn - ohh pretty big. ANother idea I had, was to allow the export of each sides turns for the whole game(without movies), so people can download complete games and generate the movies on their own system. Allowing us to share good PBeM games with others smile.gif

CCJ

I am glad to hear that the complete movies will be available. CC1 had that feature and it was a blast. It also allowed you to interrupt the movie and start playing again say midway through the game. It was kind of nice to explore various strategies w/o replaying the whole game. Will CM have this feature as well?

I remember one other point discussed that is semi-related to movies. Will other gamers be able to join in and watch an ongoing game w/o participating? It would be interesting to watch the final match "live" in a tournament.

Thanks,

Ken

Guest Big Time Software

The Big Movie will likely be divided up into turn based chunks for technical reasons. In other words, you can sit back and watch just movies, but between second 60 and 61 there will be a break as the new movie is loaded in. We think this is the only way we can get the feature into the first release. Plus, we actually think it is better this way because you can more easily skip to a particular turn (i.e. start the playback from turn 8...).

The movies will NOT allow you to replay the game. This would be like rebooting a save game, so there is no reason to special code for this.

Yes, you can watch other people's games without having anything but the full game (needed for graphics and such). In fact, that is what I am doing right now. I am watching Fionn and Martin duke it out as a third party observer.

Not sure what we are going to do about watching from the other side. This opens a big door for cheating. You could break from a game, then go watch the movies from prior turns.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Not sure what we are going to do about watching from the other side. This opens a big door for cheating. You could break from a game, then go watch the movies from prior turns.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could you make the replay mechanism check for both sides passwords (would require a savegame file from both players for checking)?

If you input both passwords you can replay the turn from the Allied POV, the German POV, or a non FOW POV. This is essentially what Major H is planning to do for the update of TacOps.

Hey, will it be possible to output the movies to TV/VCR and record them? My grandfather is sorta interested in this (I showed the site and TGN's stuff last time I visited) but he doesn't have a computer (surfs with WebTV). I'd like to be able to record a battle, and send it to him so he can see what I'm bouncing off the walls about.

DjB

It will be fun to watch a whole series of turns

played out in order. Like a little WWII movie. smile.gif

But, as Steve said, watching movies from the other side

could be a big problem. If that feature could

be included (and I'm not so sure it's a good idea), then

I would only want to see it if it could be implemented

in a cheat-proof way. I don't really see the point for

such a feature though. After the game is over the

other player could e-mail you copies of any of his

turn movies from his perspective. Then cheating

wouldn't be a concern. And it would accomplish the

same thing. Certainly you don't want to view your

opponents movies while the game is still in progress.

Just wait till the game is over.

Doug,

I imagine if you have a TV out capable video card in your machine, you would be able to pass the TV signal out thru a vcr and then off to a TV. I think it would be quite easy to record the "Big Movie" with this in mind.

If I am wrong someone jump in and tell me so I don't lead anyone else down the wrong path of video taping. wink.gif

Guest Big Time Software

Doug, Ron is correct. To make the QT movies I first output to VCR (looks great on the 27" tele!) then digitized it back in. Just need a video card with video out.

Ummm... password? Yeah, we are already doing that (forgot smile.gif). OK, that gets rid of cheating except against the AI (which we aren't concerned about). There are still some technical issues for us to deal with however. But we will try very hard to get it so you can watch from either side.

Steve