French Gambette Organizing Resistance(1870)

Just curious about this event. If it works as documented it literarly seems to be a no-brainer event with no brainer as there are no drawbacks(not even possible ones) to it and only positives.

Now, that might be historically accurate, but why even make it an decision event then?

As a side note, is there any way not to have the French monarchy fail? I don't know how historicly viable it would have been, but it be great to have a possibilty at seeing them surrive..

You're right, it is intentionally a decision with no downside! :)

The reason for making it a decision rather than just having it happen is that it gives a good opportunity to describe what is happening, and for the event to have more visibility than were it just to happen in the game. It was a big thing at the time so I wanted to make it as such.

This way, players not so familiar with the war won't be left wondering what it is all about, and why they are being told about Gambetta taking to a balloon, an event in itself which (without the full context explained) could otherwise seem quite meaningless.

As a side note, is there any way not to have the French monarchy fail? I don't know how historicly viable it would have been, but it be great to have a possibilty at seeing them surrive..

That is pretty impossible in the way things are set up, as the Emperor's fall is tied in to France's National Morale falling. His behaviour even before the fighting started was hardly inspiring, and it just got worse as time went on.

In that case I would give some kind of warning to make SURE that the player knows that declining has no good side to it. As for the monarchy thing. A bit unrelated to the game, but what made him such a bad monarch that people wanted to be rid of him?

I'll see what I can do, and Napoleon III had never really been a great leader, and by 1870 he was in poor health and what leadership abilities he had had previously, were pretty much gone by then.

He joined the army but didn't take command of it, and became more and more of a liability. Plus there was the meddling Empress who would send messages to the commanders with instructions at variance from, and sometimes contradictory to, their orders. Confusion reigned supreme!

Add in to that the political opposition to the Bonapartes, especially in Paris, and we are looking at an unstable regime that really should have avoided going to war as much as possible.

The events in game about disorder and attempted insurrections in Paris are modelled on real events. They were small to start with, but acts of opposition were already taking place in August 1870 prior to any major defeats to rise up against Napoleon. Add in some military failures and Napoleon's days were numbered!