A unit allows me to select entrenchment, but the entrenchment value does not increase.

Is this because the unit has reached its maximum entrenchment value(in which case whats the point in selecting entrenchment) or is there a formula where by the entrenchment value increases after a number of entrenchments ?

Many thanks for any help.

you can only "entrench" a unit once.(if it has trenches, you won't "gain" anything from entrenching it again and again every turn.

The point of entrenching a 2nd time is the abilty to change the direction the trenches are facing, which can be usefull if the front line adjusts and you need to adjust your trenches appropiatly.

As for entrenchment value, it goes up by 1 (though always at least to half of max) every turn till it reaches max.(early on the max on even ground is at 2(?) and it goes up with every level of tech. Some places like cities raise the max entrenchment by 1(or capitals by 2 I think)

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply which was very helpful.

I have a related question however, what is the maximum entrenchment value in the properties tab.

When I entrenched a unit it showed as 2(4). Which I took to mean as the current value is 2 with a maximum value of 4.

But when I look at the trench properties it said the max entrenchment value is 1. So not sure what that relates to.

Many thanks for any help, my apologies if I am being dumb!

Hi

You are right in thinking that 2(4) means that current entrenchment is 2 with a maximum value of 4.

This is dependent on your research into Trench Warfare, where at level 0 a trench has a maximum entrenchment value of 1. This is what is showing on the trench when you look at its properties, but with research (and/or entrenching on resources) the maximum can surpass that.

It is probably therefore best to view what's in the properties screen as the base entrenchment value without any bonuses added from research, the terrain, or the resource you may be occupying.

I hope that makes more sense?

Bill

If I understand you correctly Bill, that means trenches are basically a modifier to the maximum entrenchment at the location?

Hi Bob

That's right, though in themselves trenches also provide defense bonuses too, in addition to increasing the maximum entrenchment. This is why even when your Trench Warfare research is still at zero, entrenching is still the best thing to do when expecting attack.

Bill