Terrain/Trench penalties when attacking

The manual mentions something about a reduced strength of attack when attacking from territory with a negative defensive value. Can anyone clarify this? I have experienced situations where my entrenched unit shows worse combat odds on attack that a unit that is not, even when the entrenched attacking unit has the prepared attack bonus and a unit that moves did not. In these situations, the defending unit is usually not entrenched, so its trench facing plays no role. I wonder if the attacking unit suffers a terrain penalty or entrenchment penalty when attacking across its own trenches?

BTW, new to the game and really enjoying it!

Hi

Glad you're enjoying the game, and I don't think trenches are the problem, but wonder if some of your units are attacking across a river? Only the river crossing penalty would explain it as it reduces your attacking potential quite noticeably.

Bill

Pretty much what Bill said, though it is also worth mentioning that the biggest impact is made by supply/readiness/moral.(As you mentioned charge bonus/having to move there so maybe unit you moved there had much more supply readiness while your trench line is too far forward or your HQ's too far back)