LOS Question

First, I just wanted to say that I am looking forward to this game like no other I can remember. Thanks to Charles, Steve, and everyone else who is working so hard to bring an enjoyable game to life.

I had a question about LOS in the game. I vaguely recall a similar question asked some time ago but I tried searching every term I could think of and couldn't find it. My question is whether the LOS tool in the game can be used to check sightlines from an enemy unit or a point on the map. My concern (and this is actually pretty minor) is regarding "eyeballing" possible sight lines when using magnification/different display settings. For example, what if I set the forest display to minimum for game speed purposes and want to see if a particular spot on the map is within sight of a point where I suspect enemy units are located. It's true I can move the camera to that spot and use the "Mark I eyeball" to judge if I can see the spot, but with forest set to minimum, it may "look" like I can see the spot through the trees when in fact the forest is actually very thick.

Again, this is not a major, major point but with the differing display settings and magnification levels I'm not sure that using your eye to check unit sightlines is completely realistic. You can use the LOS tool for your own units, it might be realistic to use it for enemy units and points on the map.

I guess the response might be that it's not always easy to judge LOS from points where your units aren't located or from particular points on the map. I guess that response does make sense and I don't have any quarrel with that point. I just wanted to see if this was a concern with the game or whether this point had been considered.

By the way, I am a fan of HPS products, but I believe CM will be the most realistic and fun game on WW2 combat out there. There is room on my hard drive for all these games and you don't have to knock down one in order to defend the other (are you listening OSCAR?).

Thanks again Charles and Steve for all you're doing for our enjoyment. I hope CM makes you both rich. smile.gif

Tom

Just a quick sidenote: regardless of how you set tree display, the ground texture for woods remains the same. So even if you don't see any trees, you still see the (slightly darker) area where woods terrain lies. I hope I expressed myself clear enough smile.gif

I know this is more than a little out of date but I've been wondering about this. If I wanted a unit to move up the back side of a hill until it could see some point on the other side of the hill, what kind of orders would I give? It is my understanding that I would not be able to check the line-of-sight for positions where I have no units. This would mean that if I ordered the unit to a given point, I wouldn't be sure that the unit would be able to see the desired area upon arrival.

------------------

Eric

Eric,

I would hope that you are right about LOS for locations I haven't been or for enemy positions I can see. I hope that you cannot select a position in the game and have the game show me where it's LOS is. I know some war games allow for LOS from unknown locations. For example in one game, I can select a hex and all visible hexes light up.

Richard Kalajian

Eric is right, you cannot select an enemy unit and check its LOS, nor can you check exact LOS (using the tool) from a position you have no units at. That would be, in my opinion, quite unrealistic. However, the Mark I Eyeball gives a good idea and - what I quite like about it, too - the more experienced player will be able to judge terrain better and quicker (i.e. move his units into the right positon straight away) than an inexperienced one.

Most of the time, however, judging LOS is quite simple, and using common knowledge helps a great deal, too.

I suspected as much and I actually think this is realistic, but I was just curious about use of the LOS tool. Moon, you're right, I think, about using some common sense along with the "Mark I." Thanks.

Tom

------------------

Tom D

"When he asked me the question, I was gratified to be able to answer quickly, and I did. I said I didn't know."

--Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi