Still no Rangers?

Okay, so I get that they weren't able to squeeze in the Rangers in the first iteration, but I would have thought that now that we have them in FI that they might have been included in v2.00. I suppose that there might have been enough TO&E changes between 1943 and '44 to mean extra work, but I sure could find a use for them.

Michael

So I am curious - what exactly do you need to simulate Rangers, that you don't have? I mean, I realize the force structure would be slightly different, but all the weapons are available, yes? Beyond being mixed crack to regular infantry (regulars only for the latecomers in the later formations), not having divisional weapons over them (just mortar support, and the odd 75mm halftrack), what exactly is missing?

The shoulder badges? ;)

Also, they'd be prohibitively expensive to build (from a gutted vanilla infantry Battalion, or two, I'd imagine) in a QB. Looking at the TO for them in FI, they have 6 companies per battalion and lots more automatic weapons. All the extra MMG teams and Scout teams to get the RoF back up to Ranger-scratch would eat into your QB buck...

Looking at the TO for them in FI, they have 6 companies per battalion and lots more automatic weapons. All the extra MMG teams and Scout teams to get the RoF back up to Ranger-scratch would eat into your QB buck...

That and it would be a lot of work and bother. Hey, I'm paying BFC to do this for me!

;)

Michael

BFC could add a TOE to match the authorized headcount of Ranger platoons & companies (which, IIRC, is somewhat different than the standard U.S. infantry structure). But as far as weapons carried, there's really no such thing as a "standard" Ranger loadout for WWII; Rangers were allowed to choose their own weapons right down to the personal small arms level, and change it as they saw fit for the mission at hand.

I'm sure you'll find "example" TOEs in books and on webpages that include descriptions of weapons carried, but these can only really be accurate insofar as they indicate what Ranger formation X carried for weapons for a certain engagement on a certain date. As such, any TOE BFC comes up with for Rangers is going to be inaccurate a good part of the time.