in a quick battle (i had to defend) i "purchased" two full infantry companies and i had the battalion HQ attached with them.

i decided to have a "crack platoon" and the others at "veteran".

my "money" wasn't enough so i cut one platoon, but I still had a slight cut to do.

I decided to maintain the platoons at the "veteran" level, with their HQ at "veteran" too, then I decided to maintain the company HQ at the "veteran" and i dcided to "cut" the battalion HQ to "conscript" because i had to save money one way or another.

i decided that way because i think it's more important, IN CM and on the Defense, to have good skill at the platoon/company (the fighting units) then at the HQ battalion level.

whats do you think it's more important in CM ?

and if you attack (in CM) ?

HQ soft characteristics don't seem to have much of an effect on the performance of your main working teams, the line platoons. Your Company HQs (unless they're Italian, and kudos for picking Italians in a QB... you masochist) will be able to maintain radio C2 with the Battalion HQ, which should be shoved in a corner somewhere safe. Or just plain deleted from your OOB, since the radios of the Companies will keep C2 with Bttn if it's "off map".

You'll have noticed that the cost/saving of increasing/decreasing the soft stats of HQs is quite small per level. That reflects the relative importance to combat performance quite accurately, I feel.

It's also worth paying some attention to the other soft stats. Experience is good, but also the most expensive. Raised morale means your troops stick around for longer before bugging out, and increased leadership improves many aspects of their performance by lesser amounts.