New Combat Mission Preview

http://www.thegamers.net/articlearchives/previews/combat_mission/index.html

I think that Preview shows quite a few pieces of new information although it is MOSTLY aimed at people who haven't played the beta demo yet.

One new piece of info which hasn't been made public previously is the Wehrmacht unit list as of May 1945 (obviously some units which were around prior to 1945 in 1944 aren't present but this list gives you a fair idea of the detail that's gone into with the unit lists).

There are some nice shots of the single-barreled nahverteidigungswaffe in action and a shot of a couple of 210mm shells hitting the ground at the same time *snigger* (BIG booms !)

It's written by yours truly who tried to keep it as balanced as possible but since it is my strong opinion that this is the Wargame of the Year it comes across in the article wink.gif

Anyways, there's new stuff there for people who played the demo (including a nice shot of a map SW of Caen) and hopefully it'll get

more people to try the demo.

Ps. There was no word limit so you MAY want to grab a cup of coffee as you start to read wink.gif

(I've posted this to a few ngs too so they can hear the word wink.gif )

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Madmatt

Hehehe, thanks for quoting me Fionn! I was the one who wrote about sitting up on the hill above Riesburg and just watching the battle rage down before me! wink.gif

In fact I found myself doing that again tonight during an Allied game of ' Last Defense', I just parked my virtual 'persona' up on the Hellcat Hill and watched as the TacAi worked its magic.

Great work Fionn, perhaps some day we should combine our respective 'gifts for gab' and do some serious editoralizing! smile.gif

Madmatt out, and imortalized in print! wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 11-09-99).]

Nice write-up, Fionn.

Your remarks about hexagons vs. "pixel=placement" are right on. I have always been mystified why so many computer wargames _still_ seem to use hexes. I've bought very few computer wargames which obviously make use of hexes based on box-art descriptions. It's never made sense to me to be clinging to the old boardgame conventions in a completely different medium.

Your comments on the AIs capabilities are also interesting. I haven't really played enough to see it in action like this, but I am definitely looking forward to it.

In my first playing, of Riesberg, the German defense hasn't seemed terribly organized. But I have also been advancing in true yankee fashion - slowly and deliberately, with liberal use of fire support from my Shermans (three of which still survive - I've proabbly been lucky in that regard). My overwhelming firepower may have something to with the less than effective AI responsive. OTOH, it has also surprised me a few times too.

But I think it's getting desparate. smile.gif I'm preparing to storm the HQ building, and I have a almost three full platoons deployed/deploying around it and a Sherman parked in the street. All of a sudden, a single German platoon HQ comes dashing out of the building through the remaining arty smoke, runs across the street into some scattered trees, and hence comes under whithering fire. Only one guy left now. Sure looked like an act of desparation to me! smile.gif

Mark L

Very well said Fionn. God knows where you get the time to do all this writing. One thing that struck me from your article was that scene of the bocage country near Caen. It looked so beautiful and peaceful (though not for long I expect smile.gif). In fact it looked significantly better than the landscape views in the beta demo. Was that my imagination or has there been a major tweak ?

Joe

Blimey! just noticed the sky too

[This message has been edited by Neutral Party (edited 11-10-99).]

[This message has been edited by Neutral Party (edited 11-10-99).]