Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Ranges...

Have scoured both manuals, the Encyclopedia of Weapons, and the FAQs and can not find the range of: Grenades, Rifle Grenades, and Bazookas. I have found the range for PZSchrecks and PZfausts. I also tried searching this forum and, of course, no matter how I search for subjects, I get the error message that my search is UNDER the three word limit and is too short?! :( Three are too short, so are four, five and six...just what is the trick?

Anyway I would really like to know how close a unit has to be to throw a grenade or fire a rifle grenade. Also the range of a US Bazooka. The Encyclopedia describes the BZ but does not give a range. I am also assuming that grenades are maybe ONLY thrown when a unit is given an assault command and gets close enough to do so.

Thanks

You need to work on your reading comprehension skills.:P

-- hand grenade range isn't specifically stated in the manual, but is pretty easy to intuit -- about as far as you could accurately throw a grapefruit (~30m or so). Use is not restricted to units under an Assault order and is automatic; if infantry have grenades available to them and are reasonably unsuppressed, they will use them on any target that comes within range.

-- Range for U.S. M7 Rifle Grenade is specifically stated in the manual: "The M7 could fire grenades up to 350 metres (397 yards)." (p. 167). The German Kar98K Shiessbecher range is also specifically stated -- "280 m (306 yd)." (p. 187). Personal note: I would consider these ranges absolute maximums; you might occasionally see RG shots ranges near or even over 300m, but use is much more likely and accurate at shorter ranges.

-- Range for U.S. Bazooka isn't stated in the manual text as such, but it is prominently displayed in the weapon info panel in-game, including in the image of said info panel included in the manual (p. 169): 250m. Again, I would consider this range an extreme maximum. The bazooka teams will sometimes fire at targets over 200m away, but good luck hitting anything smaller than a barn at ranges like this. For better results, it is a good idea to use cover arcs to restrict bazooka teams from firing until the range is ~100m or less.

I also tried searching this forum and, of course, no matter how I search for subjects, I get the error message that my search is UNDER the three word limit and is too short?!

Forget searching using the built in search tool. Just give up trying and move on...

Try this Google using their site command. For example google site:battlefront.com range bazooka and there you go.

I appreciate so comprehensive an answer. My bad about the manual and rifle grenades. I have a printed copy and the print is teeny. I blew though the encyclopedia and noticed all the rifles and should have seen the note on the Rifle Grenade. And I will have to pay closer attention to the Weapons Panels in the game as well. Thanks again...MOST HELPFUL.:)

You need to work on your reading comprehension skills.:P

-- hand grenade range isn't specifically stated in the manual, but is pretty easy to intuit -- about as far as you could accurately throw a grapefruit (~30m or so). Use is not restricted to units under an Assault order and is automatic; if infantry have grenades available to them and are reasonably unsuppressed, they will use them on any target that comes within range.

-- Range for U.S. M7 Rifle Grenade is specifically stated in the manual: "The M7 could fire grenades up to 350 metres (397 yards)." (p. 167). The German Kar98K Shiessbecher range is also specifically stated -- "280 m (306 yd)." (p. 187). Personal note: I would consider these ranges absolute maximums; you might occasionally see RG shots ranges near or even over 300m, but use is much more likely and accurate at shorter ranges.

-- Range for U.S. Bazooka isn't stated in the manual text as such, but it is prominently displayed in the weapon info panel in-game, including in the image of said info panel included in the manual (p. 169): 250m. Again, I would consider this range an extreme maximum. The bazooka teams will sometimes fire at targets over 200m away, but good luck hitting anything smaller than a barn at ranges like this. For better results, it is a good idea to use cover arcs to restrict bazooka teams from firing until the range is ~100m or less.

Glad to be of assistance.

One follow-up: With regards to heavier weapons like MG, mortars, etc. the ranges listed in the manual and in the unit info panels are mostly good and useful. Generally, they list the weapon's maximum practical range and a minimum range, if applicable. So you can take the ranges listed as the distance at which the weapon may open fire and have at least some minimal effect. Usually, the weapon is much more effective at ranges significantly less than this figure. For example, Maximum range of the M1917 HMG is listed as 2000m, but I think this particular weapon is best deployed so it can target at ranges of 1000m or less.

However, wrt small arms, the range information in the manual is very inconsistent (where it exists; the entries for some small arms do not include range info at all). For example, the "effective range" for the M1 Garand in the manual is described as 440 yd. (402m), which is a reasonable figure for the maximum practical range of a trained shooter using plain iron sights. Rifle fire at this range isn't very effective and the chances of an actual hit are very low, but it does usually cause least some suppressive effect so it can be useful to have your riflemen open up at ~400m in some tactical situations. The Garand is much more effective at ranges of 300m or less; this has more to do with the limitations of the unaided human eyeball than the accuracy of the weapon, as such.

However, in contrast, the manual lists "effective range" of the Thompson SMG as 50 meters. This is most definitely not a "maximum practical range" as for the Garand figure; it's more like a "most effective when used at this range or less" figure. And in the game, soldiers with Thompson SMGs in the game definitely do not limit themselves to targets at 50m or less. In fact, Thompsons in-game will fire on enemy targets out to a range of around 200m. They're not very accurate at this range, but they will shoot, cause suppression, and occasionally even get a lucky hit.

(Parenthetically, I still think SMGs and especially Thompsons are used at ranges that are far too long in-game. But this has already been discussed ad nauseam in other threads and I don't see much point in resurrecting this discussion now.)

At any rate, It would have been much better if the small arms figures in the manual were consistent across type -- that is, always cite a "maximum effective range", or a "best used at range" or whatever. Consistency is a good thing.

This is great...I am learning more and more each day and with each battle. My opponents are tough old vets and not pulling any punches, but I guess one has to "earn his stripes":o But I AM learning...from doing...and from the experience and tips from astute players like you and the others...thanks so much. My folder of "tips" and useful posts is growing by leaps and bounds.

Glad to be of assistance.

One follow-up: With regards to heavier weapons like MG, mortars, etc. the ranges listed in the manual and in the unit info panels are mostly good and useful. Generally, they list the weapon's maximum practical range and a minimum range, if applicable. So you can take the ranges listed as the distance at which the weapon may open fire and have at least some minimal effect. Usually, the weapon is much more effective at ranges significantly less than this figure. For example, Maximum range of the M1917 HMG is listed as 2000m, but I think this particular weapon is best deployed so it can target at ranges of 1000m or less.

However, wrt small arms, the range information in the manual is very inconsistent (where it exists; the entries for some small arms do not include range info at all). For example, the "effective range" for the M1 Garand in the manual is described as 440 yd. (402m), which is a reasonable figure for the maximum practical range of a trained shooter using plain iron sights. Rifle fire at this range isn't very effective and the chances of an actual hit are very low, but it does usually cause least some suppressive effect so it can be useful to have your riflemen open up at ~400m in some tactical situations. The Garand is much more effective at ranges of 300m or less; this has more to do with the limitations of the unaided human eyeball than the accuracy of the weapon, as such.

However, in contrast, the manual lists "effective range" of the Thompson SMG as 50 meters. This is most definitely not a "maximum practical range" as for the Garand figure; it's more like a "most effective when used at this range or less" figure. And in the game, soldiers with Thompson SMGs in the game definitely do not limit themselves to targets at 50m or less. In fact, Thompsons in-game will fire on enemy targets out to a range of around 200m. They're not very accurate at this range, but they will shoot, cause suppression, and occasionally even get a lucky hit.

(Parenthetically, I still think SMGs and especially Thompsons are used at ranges that are far too long in-game. But this has already been discussed ad nauseam in other threads and I don't see much point in resurrecting this discussion now.)

At any rate, It would have been much better if the small arms figures in the manual were consistent across type -- that is, always cite a "maximum effective range", or a "best used at range" or whatever. Consistency is a good thing.