Italian squad - Platoon commander taking over.

I know that in the past I've had higher echelon HQs provide "Voice" and "Sight" C2 to their subunits that have lost their HQ, so a Company HQ has come along and successfully "taken over" the direct command of a platoon which has lost its Commander.

At the moment, though, I have a pair of Italian "groups" (the subsquad elements that have two teams you can't split) who've lost their "Squadra HQ" to some importunate mortars; I've moved the Platoon HQ to within 30m of both, but they're not showing as having any C2 status, though they should both be able to see the Rupert (they can both area target just in front and just behind him, and he's not in a bush AFAICT).

So my question: is this supposed to be the case? I know Italian doctrine and practice were a bit (to put it mildly) antiquated and inflexible, but are platoon commanders meant to be unable to assume direct command of out-of-C2 subelements of their platoon? Or is it just some transient/conditional case that will resolve itself in time?