No Smoke Trails

Guest Big Time Software

Guest Big Time Software

Like a Beauty Contest, the judges have spoken (er, that be you guys!) and the contest organizers (I guess that is us?) have agreed...

As of last night smoke trails were removed from the following weapons:

Panzerfaust (all models)

Bazooka

Panzerschreck

There has always been a backblast for these weapons, but I am going to make sure it is still working (memory is fuzzy).

There was never smoke for PIATs, nor backblast, so that one is also OK. There are smoke trails for plane based rockets, but that *is* realistic.

Now Combat Mission should at least be "OK", right? smile.gif

Steve

Guest Scott Clinton

Well, as long as the all of the warheads are really sphereical in shape...and that the PF 30 tube is only 88% the size of the PF60s tube...and the PF60s tube is only 83.33% the size of the PF100.

'Cause you know as well as I do if you can't do it EXACTLY right to the most inane details you might as well go back to hexagons...nay go back to squares! (Tactics the very first board wargame)

;)

------------------

The Grumbling Grognard

Wait, what about 4th of July colors? How about a special hemp bazooka that leaves a trail of groovy mellow awareness in its wake? Better yet, how about "Old Faithful" as a terrain type? It would be awesome, seeing the steam spray into the air, boiling the Nazis alive!

Then, again, maybe we should not do those things. Perhaps we should concentrate on normalcy, yea even realism and historical accuracy. Naaww, lets get crazy. How about lamination? Put the Nazi war criminal on a huge highway billboard. It should look like a driver's license, only a person goes where the picture would be. The write his name, crime, trial date sentencing date, and execution date so that passing motorists can see it on their way into town. Then roll the hot plastic (about one foot thick) over the victim, er, offender. "Welcome to the American Sector! Murder is a crime." There he is, like Han Solo, staring at all of his captured Kameraden from within his translucent tomb.

Just an idea.

------------------

Climb to Glory!

Oh please God Scott don't give Oscar ideas.

I have visions of him with a magnifying glass and a ruler examining every frame of the demo to provide "off the cuff obvious errors" wink.gif (I am willing to bet ANYONE here real money that he will do this ! I know his type oh so well wink.gif )

BTW the hemp bazooka sound fun.. Have Tiger crews mellow out during the attack wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest R Cunningham

Hang on!

The other thread got closed but I was going to argue in favor of light smoke trails for the bazooka and panzerschreck. Both of these weapons had rocket motors that burned while in flight AFAIK. The early panzerschreck required the firer to wear special protective clothing to protect himself from this rocket as it left the tube. Later models had the shield.

For those with the CC2 CD, video Gaiv.mpg has a panzerschreck firing at sarting around 31 seconds of the 47 second video. It goes by very quickly and I couldn't get my player to go frame by frame but it looks like the panzerschreck should have a smoke trail. There is also another quick video on the CC1 CD. Hist2.avi shows a schreck firing. I couldn't find a good one of a bazooka.

If you agree with that these weapons should have some sort of smoke trail then for hyper-realism we should try to determine the burn out range for the rockets. I imagine that they longer they burned the greater the range. But this does not necessarily mean that they burned the entrie distance to the target.

Whatever you decide to do , next year's boondoggle to test weapons for CM2 should include some man portable AT weapons. smile.gif

Guest Big Time Software

Yes, the motor did produce *some* smoke for at least he PS (and most likely Bazooka and PF30). This is one reason the Germans added a shield to their Stovepipe, since where there is smoke there is fire wink.gif However, it didn't extend for more than a few meters at best. The way we make smoketrails animate such a small trail would look silly, or at least we think it would. Better to take it out altogether.

In general, we can't go around making everything look 100% visually correct, so we shoot for 90%. In this case it is to not have trails, have a backblast, and not include the small ones from certain weapons.

Steve

I'm all for the hemp bazooka! Problem is our guys would start shooting it "near" each other and forget all about Jerry.

BTS, another great response on your part to the call of your public.

Fionn, you are still adding wood to the fire. The only time I add wood to a fire is when I want to keep it burning. When I want to put it out, I piss on it and walk away. We have all pissed plenty. Let's please walk away.

Pixman

------------------

Fact is the enemy of truth. - Don Quixote

Oh I was just making a jokey comment to Scott.

He and I BOTH know Oscar from other forums and FWIW Oscar is quite capable of maintaining a steady glow all by himself wink.gif.

He won't post to this thread I'm sure since it shows BTS doing something good.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers