Combine Depleted Units

Is there any way to combine depleted units. For example I have a rifle platoon and 2 of the 3 squads are down to 3 and 4 men. I would like to combine these 2 squads into 1 squad. In a campaign or longer scenario where squads get worn down I think this would help give the new squad a little more cohesion and effectiveness . Probably not realistic to do this during a battle between different platoons or companies but within the same platoon I believe would help and not be out of the norm.

If you can't do this has it ever been considered.

Thanks.

Is there any way to combine depleted units.

Not during a battle. I don't know about between battles of a campaign, but I doubt it.

It would not be very historical to allow depleted squads to recombine while actively engaged in combat. That sort of thing, if it happened at all, would occur during some quieter time between bouts of combat.

Michael

Not during a battle. I don't know about between battles of a campaign, but I doubt it.

It would not be very historical to allow depleted squads to recombine while actively engaged in combat. That sort of thing, if it happened at all, would occur during some quieter time between bouts of combat.

Michael

Actualy, adhoc units were rather common on D-day with all the chaos, and loss of commanders from my understanding. I recall 82nd guys mixed with 101 guys happening on the drop. There was an 82nd guy in with the 101 guys on the attack at Brecourt Manor. I think it is certainly not the norm, but possible depending on the chaos of the situation.

I think it is certainly not the norm...

Bingo. That was the issue I was addressing. It was a big war and probably anything that we collectively can imagine probably happened somewhere sometime. The point is, should it be happening as a regular event in CM? Because you know how gamers are (at least some of them): give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile. If recombining units becomes possible during a game, players will start using it all the time, because not using it places them at a disadvantage that might be critical.

The 82nd. and 101st. Airborne were elite formations whose troops were expected to exercise a high degree of personal initiative. Such was not necessarily the case across the whole Army. In fact, I am pretty sure that if you were to search long enough, you would find some formations where it was firmly (if unofficially) frowned upon.

Michael