Spotting without being spotted?

Yes it's definitely spotty as an LOS tool, and though you can use it to get a rough idea by highlighting waypoints and using it, it's visually confusing because the line emanates from the original waypoint until you click (while your moving the cursor around looking at LOS)

I wonder if a dedicated LOS tool would make things easier, or just be redundant and not help.

"I have the other free units Assault the flanks while one or two units engage the enemy and keep him busy."

Imperial, I for one am glad to hear you're running the training missions. The training campaign (not Devon's) is an excellent way to increase your understanding of the tactics involved (such as resupply and defense in-depth). I also did both training campaigns. As a former USMC 0369 (Infantry small unit leader - rifle platoon sgt.), albeit many decades ago, I found that teaching method very effective.

One thing you might want to be cautious of is attacking both flanks at the same time. That is called a "double envelopment" and is generally only used at a battalion sized assault. That's because of the danger of casualties from friendly fire and the possibility of the flanking units engaging each other. I realize there is very little chance of that happening in CMBN, but no sense in developing bad habits. Set your base of fire and maneuver your flanking element into assault position to assault A SINGLE flank. As they begin their assault, stop your base of fire so you don't kill and wound your own men.

Good luck, and don't get down over losing. Learn from the loss and apply that knowledge the next time. I get my butt handed to me on a regular basis, and try to learn from each whipping.:D