LOS Mouse Lag

Wow!!! It was worth the wait. Definitely the most emersive, fun , Kickass war game ever! Now a little tech problem. When I choose the LOS command my curser gets a nasty lag. worse in some views than in others. The targeting line does the same. Is this a tech issue with the game or just maybe I don't have enough ram or video memory or something. I'm runnig pent mmx 200 with diamond monster 3d and 32 megs of ram. If anyone else is getting this problem or has the answer please respond.

Note to BTS. You guys definitely came through for us Wargamers this time I love the game. I have only played 1 scenario to the end and managed a total victory. But I got the feeling if I play it again I probably wouldn't do as well. Took out a tiger with a hellcat from long range, and a couple half tracks with mortars. I thought i was going to lose or run out of ammo till the last 2 turns. very exciting stuff. Thanks for all your hard work and lets get the full game soon.

Same mouse lag here, and the los line is not always where the mouse cursor is. It works in the overhead views (5-8) but not in the 3D views, at least sometimes the los line jumps around or has another direction than the tip of the mouse cursor locates.

200MMX, Vodoo 2 12 mb, 64 mb ram.

Fred

Drawing the LOS line is very CPU intensive and I think that is causing some lags.

For whatever reason this isn't as much of a problem in the latest build.. In other words, the new way of indicating lines etc seems to have speeded up the LOS indicator significantly on my machine.

Ps.. After a while you will rarely use LOS lines. View heights 1 and 2 are enough for me for 95% of the game. While you are learning though LOS lines are very important.

Keep trucking.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

thanks fionn. Everyone that answered this thread with that problem has virtually the same computer as mine so i guess it is time to fork out some more hard earned ones for a screamer so i can never sleep again!!

But by "new build" i guess you mean the full version that will be on my doorstep soon.

I use the LOS tool as much to figure out if I can see a unit as to see how much fire I can place on it and with what accuracy.

Unlike Fionn, I don't like using view level 1 or 2 for placing orders. But that's why there are eight levels. I play in levels 3-7 for 95% of the orders phase.

Jason

Wow, perhaps the Smithsonian would take those P200MMX's for display... smile.gif

(mine is a Linux server for the network at home)

My guess is that it is just plain lack of horses. While the CPU is marginal nowadays, the 32MB RAM hurts alot as well. By the time the OS is loaded with drivers et al. there isnt much room left for CM.

Save those pennies, and move on up. I run a dual Celeron-366, motherboard was $134 and you can get those particular processors for around $35 each (half what I paid). The real killer will be memory right now, with the current wave of price hikes to absurd levels.

Actually I use level 3 for most plotting. I almost never use the top-down views. It's been a few days since I last used one although when I first got CM I used primarily the top-down views.

This is one of the reasons I say people need to give themselves time to adapt to the new system.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

I've been experiencing this problem as well. And while I have an older system that would explain the lag part of the problem, there is a second part to the problem that at least 1 or 2 folks mentioned above that I don't believe is cpu related. When I'm zoomed in somewhat closer and issue the LOS command from a unit and then start panning forward to different units / areas on the map, once I pan far enough that my spotting unit is no longer on the visible map view wierd things start to happen. For example, if my unit if now off toward the bottom edge of the screen then the los rubberband line should appear to trace back to the bottom of the screen somewhere, but that's often NOT what happens. Instead the los line is jumping clear over to the middle of the left/right edge of the screen, etc. This just doesn't "seem" right. Not sure if it is my equipment (maybe video card just can't handle it?), a bug, or what?

Regards,

Mike D

aka Mikester

Well, actually the way the line is drawn has recently changed and is now NOT the same way it is in the demo.

Some of the jumping I noticed with the line now isn't present as far as I can see.

The old adage of "beta demo" is raised again wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

I think what view level you use also depends on the unit scaling you have.

I've played my four games with unit bases on and at realistic scaling. At this level it is hard to see much of anything besides vehicles, so I use an overhead view. It also helps when targeting units in houses or behind walls.

Jason