Defense of Russia

It seems to me that the defense of Russia in the campaign game is not really possible up until the Urals? At least, that is what seems to be the case when the axis player attacks both Russia with the Japanese in the East and the Germans in the West.

Can I get some ideas from the Forum on how to better defend Russia? What units to build, tech to invest in, and where to position forces to stop the advances on both fronts.

Technology:

Feedback from the forum will vary on exact tech but generally with Russia invest in Infantry, Tank, Fighter, Industrial, and I like to add some AA with some production. Nothing else really needs focused on nor do you have the MPP generally at early stages. Ground attack later when secure and ready to take the offensive.

Early Purchasing:

1st few purchases a few extra raw corp (not upgraded as these can be repurchased later at a significant reduced price and teched up, besides in the beginning it is useless as at the point of attack Germany is wayyy to strong) for speed bumps on the frontier when I hit production tech #1.

Then start focusing on just raw armies not teched up per above and some of these will fall. Try later to upgrade as many as possible for at least Inf tech, then AA, not motor at this time, as the Germans approach your interior and if MPP is not needed to purchase other speed bumps for other cities along the way.

Usually purchase 1 - 2 armor before or at the time of the German invasion as these are your trump card when supply is low or opportunities present. Key though is not to offer your armor up for a tradeoff but get it back out as these are to replace in quick order.

If possible early get another fighter, but generally not recommended before the invasion as focus is on Tech, infantry, armor.

I like to have a delaying strategy against Germany with only corp or garrison as speed bumps to gain the advantage of more time for foritifications to be built around Moscow and further armor and army construction to hit the field. Generally all air is held back unless you outnumber in a sector and have hit tech early.

Defense Priorities

1. Moscow fortify at least in front then fill the entrenchments in front, and flanks. Moscow is attempted to be held at all cost and is my 1st year priority but know when to get out if things go bad to save your army for the winter and next year.

2. South - Not to difficult to hold back of Rostov 1st year. I like to have most my armor here during the initial stages in locations where I know air will not hit, and not allow German armor to smack to try to allow corp/armies move next to. Then double hit and move back. If opponent is going all out up north and central you should find some room for maneuver.

3. Leningrad - I at least try to form a line depending on German advance elsewhere and attempt to hold until 1942, normally can not hold beyond. Again know when to get out and not lose all your army.

4. Japanese - Depending on how well the Chinese played usually you should not have to worry about this. However this is not a priority and you will find entrenchment in cities, a unit or 2 behind a river is all that is needed to hold them back. And if not so be it on the frontier as it is not important 1st year but hold your interior cities where Japanese will struggle with low supply.

42 purchase Priority:

1. Enough infantry to at least hold the line.

2. Fill out the armor ASAP and keep full.

3. More infantry to help with the attack.

4. Perhaps another HQ or 2 depending on situation as helps against Germans.

5. Fighters when you can to eventually somewhat provide air cover and protect bombers.

6. Tac Bombers to help with the counteroffensive.

7. When repurchasing destroyed units upgrade to take advantage of the cost savings.

Other tips:

1. One of the most important things to keep in mind is to keep entrenchment where ever possible. Most new people I play seem to not get this and offers myself an advantage. As entrenchment valued defended units take a much higher toll on attacking units and lose far less in the process. You do not always need to take out an easy target if it in itself offers your unit as easy pickings too.

2. Hold behind rivers, cities, rough terrain as much as possible and again keep entrenchment. Do not let these targets to easily be taken or at least use them for speed bumps.

3. Hold your core (Army, Armor, HQ, Fighters) close to the chest and not lose in the early retreats as these are needed to protect the interior and offer counter attack.

4. Give ground and watch German supply values closely as this will even the odds out, especially early where Russians have no experience and fighter protection.

5. It is possible if Finland enters early in 41 to take them out by storm. Not generally recommended as this weakens your defense. However as soon as you feel secure to hold the line and have extra units available and Germany is not offering any other opportunities for encirclement, then make them your 1st objective to knock out of the war. Adds MPP and seals the flank.

6. Hold your core together as mentioned above, extend the german lines, lower their supply, they will be chipped away at during their attacks on the speed bumps, then pounce but again always keeping your ability to get your units out without losing. Easier said then done and you will lose some regardless.

7. Plan - Start the game with a plan and stick to it. Do not get caught up in opportunistic tactial victories that sway you from your strategic victory, but take opportunities that still fit in line with the overall goal.

8. Allies - Also important for Russia

a. Hold out in Poland/France as long as possible not losing British units.

b. Hit Germany/Italy/Japan where possible with strategic air, amphibious surprise landings to pull needed troops away from the east, take africa, hit italy, knock the naval and sub threats down, then eventually D-day.

Delay, retreat, entrench, then when the opportunity comes pounce and do all over again until the tide turns.

Went longer than I thought but hope some of my ideas on playing this game can help.