Flares

One day,while playing a night mission and watching the light produced by a burning vehicle,I wonder why there aren't flares in the game thought they were widely used along with the smoke rounds.I think it would be interesting to fight in almost complet darkness and to rely only in flares to spot enemy activity sometimes.Are they difficult to model?.

Apart from the fact that no sources of illumination are, apparently, modelled in the spotting algorithm (so the entire map counts as dark, even though there's a pool of light rendered around a burning vehicle, for example)... So adding flares would, IIRC mean a major overhaul of that part of the game engine. Perhaps along with fire? Did I see Steve say fire would be along before v3? Or was it someone hoping we'd get it before the modern era game...?

I was actually expecting flares to make it into the NATO module of CMSF. How painfully naive was that? I honestly doubt that flares, or fire for that matter, will make it into a pre-v3 build. My guess would be that we'll first see them in the 'Bulge' title as that takes place in the NWE winter when the nights are very long indeed. 'Bagration' will take place during the summer months so I think BFC will be able to release the East Front title without having the hassle (i.e. time sink) of coding this feature at least until v3, or even v4 (Bulge maybe?) Flares will probably arrive in a later East Front module. I'll bet that CMSF2 takes place in the summer months too ;)

[All the above is 100% pure speculation on my part ;)]