FrancoPrussian war scenario?

As far as I am aware there is a Franco-Prussian War campaign due to be released for SCWW1 in an upcoming patch

"In the meantime we might have one or two more things to keep players happy while we develop that, hopefully including a Franco-Prussian War scenario for Breakthrough if all goes well!"

Which is from this article (final paragraph) http://www.tacticularcancer.com/content.php?id=3885

Hi all

Just to update you on this, this is something I hope to produce and I've been doing a lot of research into it over the last month or so, and this research is now almost complete.

I am yet to settle on the map size, and am leaning strongly towards a larger scale map than we have in the 1914 March on Paris campaign.

I do have a map at this larger scale already half complete, so if my tests show that it will work at this scale then I will complete the map and then add in all the units and scripts. If not, then the 1914 March on Paris map will serve as the basis for it.

I expect that we're looking at sometime in the middle or late February before a trial version will be ready, depending on how things go.

I had originally thought of just representing the initial battles, but the more I've read about them the harder I think it is to disentangle them from the subsequent invasion and siege of Paris. Largely because few French players would repeat the mistakes made by Napoleon III and his commanders.

I've also grown more and more interested in the conflict after the initial battles, and the way in which the French mobilized large numbers of poorly trained troops and threw them into battle again and again against their much better trained and experienced opponents.

Bill

Those are excellent news. I am myself just reading through Michael Howard classical and Wawro recent accounts of the war.

It would be very important to represent the French advantage in infantry weapons (chassepot rifle) and the counter of the German artillery superiority.

One thing I pondered when considering the chance of an scenario is the unit level. As you probably know French Army Corps were larger than German ones, but divisions were about the same size in both armies. What is the scale you have in mind?

One of my prized books is a first edition of The History of the War between Germany and France by James D. McCabe Jr. printed in 1871. Talk about jumping into a topic when it is still fresh! Anyway, you do not need the book to read it as here it is as a Goggle e book for free.....

http://books.google.com/books/about/HISTORY_OF_THE_WAR_GERMANY_AND_FRANCE.html?id=fv26TDxJDTMC

Those are excellent news. I am myself just reading through Michael Howard classical and Wawro recent accounts of the war.

It would be very important to represent the French advantage in infantry weapons (chassepot rifle) and the counter of the German artillery superiority.

One thing I pondered when considering the chance of an scenario is the unit level. As you probably know French Army Corps were larger than German ones, but divisions were about the same size in both armies. What is the scale you have in mind?

Probably divisional, but the scale of the map will determine it.

I've used both Michael Howard's and Geoffrey Wawro's books, and also Douglas Fermer's two volume set on the war, and another two volume set I'm currently in the process of finishing is by Quintin Barry.

All of them are worthwhile and complement each other in different ways as they contain a lot of information.

The good thing about Barry's second volume is that he provides a lot of in depth coverage of the war after the fall of Napoleon. One impression I keep getting is how similar a lot of the tactical situations were to WWI, i.e. an artillery bombardment precedes an attack which frequently fails to reach its objective due to defensive fire.

An interesting point about the French artillery is that their use of it improved as the war went on, as they became bolder in its use and stopped using the fuses that could only be set to a limited number of ranges. The change wasn't massive, but as their infantry quality decreased it's noteworthy that this arm improved. As of course did their generalship!

BTW Thinking about the scenario, one thing that must be difficult to reprepresent is the huge garrison of Paris, that at one time had a paper strenght of around 400.000

As for the Victory Conditions, I imagine Paris must be taken fby the Germans to take a major victory, but what about the French? What would be reasonable Victory Conditions?