Sandbag walls and foxholes for guns

Georgie

I am making a scenario and am finding it hard to us sandbag walls for gun protection. Cant get the gun placed very well no matter what I try. The gun barrell protrudes through the wall or sits too far behind the wall to provide protection for the crew. Are these gun positions actual as shown or are they just an aproximation and the gun will still move to the aim point although it is sticking thru the sandbags. I have tried foxholes for gun crew protection but some times the gun winds up in a foxhole up to its axle with the spreaders? buried in the dirt. Can the gun still move to aim at targets?

If you want to have the gun deployed in a certain area or small number of places, then there is another solution.

Create a "revetment" by locking the "gun" tile one lower than all surrounding tiles, or by creating a "horseshoe" around the spot by raising a line of tiles one higher.

Place Light Forest and then three bushes on the raised tile in front of gun position.

Place Foxholes in gun position.

You're done.

-----------

Creating defilade positions in this manner can greatly increase survival times for towed guns. Cover to the front, but shots to either side into tactically significant areas.

If you want to have the gun deployed in a certain area or small number of places, then there is another solution.

Create a "revetment" by locking the "gun" tile one lower than all surrounding tiles, or by creating a "horseshoe" around the spot by raising a line of tiles one higher.

Place Light Forest and then three bushes on the raised tile in front of gun position.

Place Foxholes in gun position.

You're done.

-----------

Creating defilade positions in this manner can greatly increase survival times for towed guns. Cover to the front, but shots to either side into tactically significant areas.

+1

Something I´d recommend as well. These are far less suspicious than sandbags (which look quite crappy on ETO WW2 battlefields anyway), or fiddling with other CMBB fortifications. One can even "bury" an 88 appropiately, just like seen on many pics from the eastern front, or italy. :D It´s also a good idea to prepare "switch" positions.