3D Sound

Guest Mikeman

Should I seriously consider replacing my

Soundblaster 16 (ISA) card with a 3D capable

setup for this game? Will I be missing out

on alot if I don't? I've upgraded virtually everything but my sound card this past year.

Has the time now come for that upgrade too?

I love new hardware, but just haven't felt the need for a more up to date sound setup.

Mikeman

Mikeman

I'd definately recommend it. Not only will things sound much much better but the game will undoubtably run much better with the hardware acceleration of the sound.

I recently upgraded from a SB 16 to a Monster Sound 300 and was quite impressed. I picked the Monster card because it had game port acceleration, since I play a lot of flight sims. But I have a friend who got the SB Live and is equally satisfied.

Hope this helps. There might be other newer top o the line cards out there now but I haven't kept abreast of the situation for a while.

Thanks Rod, Diamond Monster MX300 it is then. I've heard good things about that card around the net, but I didn't realize I could

boost game performance as well as sound quality with it. I like flight sims too, so all the more reason to take the plunge. I might as well throw in a nice 3 piece speaker setup since the wife will already be mad as a hornet. Thanks again. I'm off to do a little web shopping. Now where's that

credit card I haven't maxed out yet......

Guest Big Time Software

Rod is correct. More and more games out there are utilizing sound as a major part of the game. While you can play CM with sound off even, you will be missing something smile.gif If we have any deaf players out there, I would recommend making sure nobody else will get ticked off and turn the volume WAY up! Most of the sounds are really low on the scale and you can really feel them (not being deaf myself I can only guess). So heard or felt, the sounds are a real asset to the game. In fact...

Yesterday I had 4 Tigers and 3 Jagdtigers blazing away at a bunch of Allied tanks. The sound was so cool that I called up Charles and played it for him over the phone. I kid you not smile.gif

Steve

BTS-Most of the sounds are really low on the scale an you can really feel them.

Oh Oh looks like I'm going to have to spend some money on a subwoofer. So far I've just been piping the sound threw a receiver to a couple of bookshelf speakers.

Any recomendations on a computer speaker system.

I've got an SBLive souncard and I like it. But I highly recommend getting a good set of speakers.

I use my computer speakers and CD-ROM drive as my stereo. Less clutter in an already cluttered room. My speakers are S2 Midiland 4100 and these things ROCK. The subwoofer is bigger than my tower case. I can't wait to hear a Tiger on these babies smile.gif

The website is http://www.midiland.com and they have links to reviews of their products.

BTW, Steve, I've been wondering for a while if you couldn't post some sounds on the battlefront.com website. We've seen a lot of great screen shots but not many sounds.

Maybe a few wav sounds of tanks and MGs and screaming men. I think it'd be cool.

Jason

I've just got a cheap $50 Creative Vibra pci soundcard for games smile.gif Running through my Mackie 24 channel mixer and out through my KRK K-Rok Studio Reference Monitors! smile.gif Bit of an overkill for games, but I like my sound to be accurate smile.gif Yeah I have a Creamware Pulsar soundcard - cost me $2500 and is loaded with DSPs, but is totally useless for games smile.gifLOl but its awesome for music writing and recording, being 24 bit/96khtz capable - DVD cd quality for those that know wink.gif

CCJ

I love being on a mac. CM is going to rock and I don't have to upgrade my sound card. And for speakers if you want a true combat feel get the jbl media system 2000. The may be pricy but well worth it. I happened to get mine for 30 bucks through some discounts and rebates.

Guest Big Time Software

Yeah, but it is a problem if a storm (for example Floyd) takes out some of your sound hardware frown.gif Right now I have no sound in my Power Computing (Mac clone) system. Finding a sound card is going to be tough since there is little to no market for it.

Steve

My subwoofer sits on the floor under my computer desk and with us having hardwood floors war games can make the whole house feel it. My roomates will be short on sleep for sure once CM comes out smile.gif