Game Balance

In my last games as Allie I always got Sealion from my opponent. Difficult to win then. As Axis I did not loose my last 6 games in row.

Maybe it is only by happenstance but I believe GC GOLD is still not balanced.

What about you guys? Do you win more Axis or Allie games?

• 2 weeks later...

I actually have found it harder to win as the Axis, if you launch Sea Lion, as the amount of extra resources that Russia and America gets from the increased mobilization makes it tough. When are they invading England?

What I find as not really at balance is the campaign in Russia, the last few games that I have played the Russians just can't seem to make a stand anywhere.

I think game is quite close to balanced. It may not seem that way when one strategy is doing well but there usually seems to be a counter.

SeaLion shouldn't kill the Allies - actually I worry that the German gains are not enough to justify the risk.

Russia is interesting. Its true that in a straight fight Germany will win. But even with Japan aiding it takes time and there are counter moves (destroying Finland, against a weak Barbarossa I've managed armour counter attacks etc.). Basically, the game is set up so that if Allies do not help Russia then Axis will win.

There is a counter play that is hard to stop, try this if Axis does too well. Throw EVERYTHING at Germany. Of course Japan runs riot, but it is quite hard to stop Germany going under in this model. A refinement is take Italy first - its very hard to stop - the sheer weight of airpower (including massed carriers) tells. Any Axis defense must divert major resources from the East. If Germany goes under Japan cannot win however strong they are (and they will have India and more by then), their force pool is not big enough. The weakness of the Axis is they do not work together very well and this can be exploited.

IMHO game is now about player skill. Dragon is better than me and can win with either side. It will be a great fight with Jollyguy either way and some others I'll beat every time.

SeaLion shouldn't kill the Allies

Maybe not Sea Lion alone but you can't do much against it. And if Axis do it at the right time the higher war readiness is not important. A bit unrealistic.

If Allies do not help Russia then Axis will win.

Yeah that is true. But when you play Axis quite fast in France and Africa then some reinforcements will not come and Allies can't do much.

IMHO game is now about player skill. Dragon is better than me and can win with either side.

Against me too!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jollyguy, I am very interested in new Allie Tactics. Unfortunately I am playing Dave and Fritz and a German Panzerligaguy too. 3 Mirrors are much at the moment but I will return a few weeks later to you. btw. my E-mail is heiko.haupt at versanet.de