Black Programs & Stealthy Tanks (Open Source Analysis)

Those of you dying for a future modern warfare game should be aware of what's doable in tank stealth these days. The improvements range from significant to radical, with costs to match. I recently posted an article under the same title as above. It's heavily researched from OPEN SOURCES, which are cited or linked, and includes some observations that a formerly advertised Russian multi-band stealth technology for tanks & AFVs has now been removed altogether from the official Russian arms export catalogue, and that what little remains is offered as a camouflage cover, with no technical parameters whatever. The links to the manufacturer's site are down and aren't viewable either directly or through the Internet Wayback Machine.

The information I present on Nakidka ("cape," I believe) blows me away. The raw improvement numbers are simply staggering for any system, but the unbelievable to me (are my eyes working properly?) vid shows what Nakidka does to the IR and radar signatures of a tank. The material's shown on the combat test ranges (2002!) undergoing lots of rough treatment; in interviews with the inventor (?), who shows the layered structure; in the tank academy classroom, where the radar signature reduction demos occur, and more.

The Russians understand quite well what they're up against when facing NATO and have fielded a simple, effective and affordable solution which greatly degrades deep look radar, ground surveillance radar, TV, LLTV (Low Light Level Television), FLIR and IIR guided weapons. It strikes me as a Russian "good enough" solution to a complex and weighty military problem.

I've deliberately refrained from posting a link, but I cover a lot more than Nakidka in my piece. And if you're interested in tanks which can do "Predator" tricks, you've got to see what infantry can do and has been observed doing in combat.

Regards,

John Kettler