Pay to Play?

I heard a rumor that this game is going to be on a pay-to-play network much like Air Warrior? First of all, if you have to pay, most likely its by the hour... how long do you think it will take to complete a TURN BASED game over the internet? Its gonna cost a small fortune to play! I preordered the game, but if that rumor is true, you can count me WAY out.

If i'm not mistaken there will be lotsa ways to play multiplayer-games.

Hot Seat, TCP/IP, PBEM and so on. I haven't heard about this pay-to-play thing, but even if it's true there are multiple ways to play the game, without paying for it. Unless they're going to charge me for every mail i sent smile.gif

Take Care,

PanzerShark

Rumours are terrible things. They get started when someone reads something wrong or just lets their irrational fear get the better of them.

There ie absolutely and totally NOT going to be a pay to play network for Combat Mission and I know this for a fact.

That rumour is, to put it kindly, totally and horribly incorrect. It is FALSE and is NOT going to happen.

I'd love to hear how this one got started though.. Any comments?

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

WHAT ???

PAY TO PLAY ???

ARE YOU INSANE ?

Oh my god, I gotta tell all my friends--- they must not buy it !

uh... since everything has been said concerning these rumors, why don't you close this thread ?

smile.gif

------------------

PGP key ID: 0xBCD59BA1

I strongly recommend the use of encryption software for e-Mail contacts. Ensuring privacy makes people feel better smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Ssnake (edited 10-14-99).]

[This message has been edited by Ssnake (edited 10-14-99).]

Why on earth would anyone pay-to-play?

If anyone signs up to do that, tell them I have a bridge in New York. It's been in the family a long time, but for the right price, I'll sell it. smile.gif

On the serious side, I would think that Email/ICQ attachments would be fast enough to send turns and results back and forth. How fast a turns orders and the results travel between players is likely to be the limiting factor in a Email versus Internet game, and I expect that to be a minimal fraction of the time spent during a battle.

Guest Big Time Software

WORDS OF TRUTH CONTAINED IN THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE, NOT RUMOR...

There will be ABSOLUTELY NO PAY-FOR-PLAY with Combat Mission. We have NEVER EVEN CONSIDERED THIS!! In fact, I stood up at a session at the Computer Game Developers Conference and had heated words with someone with Kesmai over their "drug pusher" mentality.

Wherever this rumor started is not important. The only thing that IS important is that everybody understand that it is COMPLETELY false.

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 10-14-99).]

Well, what's that saying:

A Denial is the officials' way to confirm a fact that's been rumors before...

So you admit it: Pay to play !

Aaaaaaaa !

smile.gif