Signal to noise ratio

I'm deeply saddened by the meteoric drop in the signal to noise ratio on this BB. It seems lately that discussions always degenerate into flame wars, pissing contests, and personal attacks and I, for one, am getting sick of it. I urge BTS to stand behind their threats of expulsion, if necessary, as I think it has been warranted on a couple of occasions that I won't specify here; I think most of us already know what I'm talking about. This BB used to be informative and interesting, and most people do behave. I think it speaks volumes that Fionn Kelly, a valuable and dedicated supporter of CM and a fount of information for those of us less well informed about CM and its subject than himself, has chosen to withdraw rather than face a continuing litany of abuse. I applaud his selfless devotion, and I apologize for not speaking up before, when it might have mattered. I guess one grows desensitized to the abuse of others on usenet, and there's really no excuse for it. To those of you who will no doubt abuse me for my position on this matter, I say flame away, I'll not respond. Reasonable debate, however, I invite.

Eric Hansen

Queen's Univ. Chemistry Dept.

Kingston, ON, ca

Eric, good point and I do agree. However I think that some of this might be that CM is coming down to the wire and people maybe getting anxious to get their hands on the finished product. I know I am. This doesn't excuse some behavior but might explain it.

MikeT

Perfect post. I was just thinking about how to start one, and what to say, but you beat me to it, and said it all.

Kudos to Fionn, for if I were he, I would have left a long long time ago.

Craig

ps. A neighbor has a saying that fits right into preventing most flame wars... "remember sonny, you're not smart enough to p*ss me off" smile.gif

Guest Big Time Software

Thanks.

My personal take on this is that some people need to chill out and grow up. I am not naming names here, but those who I direct this at know who they are. One of them is *one* post away from being banned. That person has been warned before, violated the terms of my warning, and came *this* close to being locked out.

Since we have NEVER had to ban someone before, I hate like Hell to have my finger over the button so to speak, but it is hovering there for at least one person.

In the interests of putting this crap behind us, I am locking up this thread and ask that no new ones start up. I will close them up if they do, and even remove them if I feel that is best. We need to move on...

Steve