Varying Scenarios

I searched, and I know this has come up before, but...

wouldn't it be possible to randomize just the AFV contingent in a given scenario, by a factor of +/- ONE? I don't think it's necessary to reorder the whole OoB.

If you kill the two StuGs and the Tiger (in LD, e.g.), you can then proceed to do gamey things with armor- count 'em 1, 2, 3, and then zoom about with relative abandon. Or count 1, 2, then tiptoe around til 3 shows up. I understand that the scenario editor allows near-infinite variation, but it looks like you did your homework on these scenarios and I just want to keep them fresh and honest (being occasionally too lazy to create them from scratch- hell, I play on airplanes and in hotel rooms).

If you didn't know whether you'd killed all the heavies, you would play a lot more realistically. There are psychological limits to what can be simulated when you KNOW what's out there. This single die roll would preserve some FOW and realistic tactics, and keep gamers guessing like real commanders time after time.

Maybe this is just the beta blues- but it seems easy to pull off, and the OoB briefings could be left a little more vague to suit. It's just that I've seen other features (like Undo, which seems pretty unnecessary with this interface) described as not commonly requested, thus low priority, so I'd like to keep the volume up on this one (Oh, s**t, there were FOUR of the bastards!).

If not, there's an end on't.

Guest Big Time Software

You forget about the DYO (Design Your Own) option. A couple billion unique scenarios should keep you more than occupied smile.gif

With games in the past that have DYO options I never did play all the included scenarios (but ours kick ass, so I probably will smile.gif). I think I only played 2 or 3 of the canned scenarios included with Kampfgruppe for example, yet I played hundreds of games using DYO. Same with Steel Panthers, except I tired of it before playing more than a couple dozen.

We did put in one option for CM's scenarios. This is a Handicap feature. You can lower or raise the handicap for the AI and it will gain or lose units depending on the setting. It will *never* gain any new unit types (i.e. if there are no Tigers in the original, there never will be with the Handicap). So this really isn't what you are asking for, but it does do something to the original OB for the AI.

Steve

Steve

This means we will be able to play E-mail/Hotseat/TCP/IP DYO just like in SP, right? I buy, send, he buys and sets up… etc. on a random or pregenerated map.

Now, will we be able to see the map before/while we buy, a feature not present in the original SP release but subsequently added?

M.

Guest Big Time Software

Bamse, yup... that would work wink.gif

Mattias, you have that right about how DYO works. Currently we don't allow you to preview the map before playing on it. In real war you rarely choose BOTH your forces and your terrain, and often get to choose neither smile.gif What you can do is set the map parameters to conform to the type of battle you want (i.e. selecting wide open ground because you want armor), or the same thing but conforming forces to map (i.e. selecting armor because you want a wide open map). But you can't first check out the map and buy the "perfect" force for that specific map

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 12-14-99).]