Hot Seat to PBEM and vice versa

First, I searched on this topic and didn't find anything (weren't the searches linked before?)

Anyway my question is say a friend who lives out of town who I have a pbem with, comes to town on visit and we would like to finish up a pbem doing hot seat. Is this available somehow? No big if it isn't just curious (Oh, and vice versa: i.e. if I was playing hot seat with him and he had to get home before we finished, could it be continued by pbem.)

Thanks.

Donan,

I asked for this capability months ago. Well, at least to be able to switch back and forth between TCP/IP and PBEM game modes in a current game. Not sure why it didn't come up in a search, but it is kind of obscure. Anyway, from what I recall I believe Steve said that we should be able to do this in the final game.

Mike D

aka Mikester

PS: I just found one of the old posts on this, see item 3 below.

[This message has been edited by Mike D (edited 11-01-99).]

Here is what I found after searching through the old posts. There may be more that I didn't find though.

Mike D

posted 04-14-99 12:30 PM ET (US)

Just out of curiousity. My friend and I usually play our games via e-mail, or direct dial up. You guys are not offerring the direct dial up connection which is too bad, but are offerring the TCP/IP connection. Questions:

1) When close combat initially only had a TCP/IP type connection there was a way to use it to direct dial via Windows 95 dial up connection. Will CM also allow this type of connection so that those of us that play in a local calling zone dont have to be burning up our internet hours.

2) Will you please reconsider the direct dial up connection, or maybe add it in a patch later?

3) It would be nice to have the flexibility to start a game say in play by e-mail mode and play for a few turns, then switch and play direct via say TCP/IP, then switch back in later turns to e-mail mode again. Might this be possible to incorporate?

Thanks

Mike D.

aka Mikester

Webmaster

posted 04-14-99 01:11 PM ET (US)

Hi Mikester,

1) We *think* this is up to Win9x, not us. If we support TCP/IP we *think* it should work.

2) We will look at it again when we do the multiplayer coding. But I have to tell you, our experience with MS direct dial APIs has not been a happy one. Therefore I wouldn't hold out too much hope for it.

3) Not sure. In theory we are only sending save games back and forth, so if we support the protocal it should work. I can't make any absolute statements that you will be able to do this, but it is at least possible.

Steve

Wouldn't this open the opportunity for a player to start the game up on his computer, all by himself, and playing both sides, thereby learning the exact location and strength of the enemy? He could then just quit the game and continue the PBEM as if nothing happened.

No, I'm against this. The cheat possibilities should be kept to a minimum, even if they can't be abolished.

Sten

Thanks Mike! I only went back 30 day's. Anyway they don't seem to be linked anymore to the message, so it would of been a hassle to go thru them all (unless something is not working correctly from my end. I would of swore that a couple weeks ago you could click on the search results to go to the message. But I've searched 3 times in the last week or so and they have all been unlinked. Could just be my memory smile.gif

Thanks again!

Donald