Advantages of the new elevation system?

Hi,

can someone explain to me the changes and advantages of the new way how elevations are handled? So far it seems like a step backwards to me. It appears you need many more fixed tiles to make contour lines than before. Where you'd place maybe one fixed tile every 5-6 tiles in CMBN you need to place literally one heightfix on every tile.

Also it often seems actually LESS natural. When you fix a tile at, lets say, 45 the other tiles around that one don't get adjusted to that very well, while with the old system they pretty much did, even with extreme differences. Instead you get like these "pimples" in the landscape.

Can be seen for instance on the first map of the Italian campaign around the building on the large hill.

Also, when the 2.0 changes get imported to CMBN I'm kinda afraid this is going to deform or even ruin many of the older maps.

Admittedly, the way the landscape bends looks more natural in general, but these pimples/anthills are somewhat annoying, so far I haven't found out how to annoy them without spamming height tiles all over the place