Artillery Question

Just something I have been curious about for a while, and I'd thought I'd ask since I learn a lot from the replies I get in this forum, usually beyond my original question :)

I noticed that when I bring up artillery for a pre-planned bombardment that I have the option of general or personnel, yet once the game starts, I can only call for general artillery. Is there a reason for that? Something that restricts this in R/L? I would think that the FO at least, could specify a particular type of strike when he calls in the arty. Sorry if I have missed this being asked before.

This is for timed fuses, which are simple mechanical timers. So you get air bursts, about 1/4 of the shells explode in the air and the rest explode when they hit the ground. They're limited to pre-planned bombardments because, as you might imagine, it takes quite a lot of preparation to first figure out the optimal delay and then set all the fuses to that time...

This changes when the US start using "VT" proximity fuses in December 1944.

Thanks, that makes sense. And, I assume, that the TRP allows this because they would already have the base calculations for targeting that area and wouldn't need to recalculate for later missions.

Should be interesting in later modules if we get the VT fuses then :)

Appreciate the info!