Battle of Montebourg help..........

Can anyone give me any pointers on getting through a particular scenario?

It involves Company E, 2/8, attacking across a small stream. I suspect it's the first battle of the last chapter. They come in piecemeal over the first 10 minutes or so of the battle. I have tried coming from both the left and right side of the map. I've also tried all sorts of combinations of suppression fire at various targets, but my squads get chewed up trying to cross that creek ... or the German mortars are on me and beat my base-of-fire platoons to dust. I feel like I'm about to break my keyboard in half! :mad: ;)

Any advice?

Thanks

You're playing Ecausseville. I don't know if you are playing the original version of this mission or the revised version and that will make a difference. The revised version is tougher because the US troops are Green and the Germans have a module of mortars available which they don't in the original.

SPOILERS

The key to this one is to scout carefully until your forces assemble. Get some MGs set up with good fields of fire before advancing towards the creek. Put down a lot of fire with your 60mm mortars when a target presents itself. The German force is tiny so once you know where they are, you've won half the battle. ;)

It's not supposed to be easy. :D The Germans slaughtered the US troops in the real life action. That wouldn't be fun to play at all so the US can do it as long as you don't advance too quickly at the start.

SPOILERS

Ditto what Paper Tiger said.

IIRC, when I played this one I forced the left flank because it offered the most cover until you reach the stream. But it's a trap because there's a bunch of barbwire that you have to go around. I used direct fire with my mortars to try and take out or suppress known enemy positions. By this time I had my assault units down by the stream and charged around the wire. They got chewed up pretty bad but 1 or 2 units made it to the gap in the hedgerow eventually. Once the enemy was flanked they were pretty much done for because they had been weakened or eliminated by mortar fire.

Heh :). I'd hazard a guess that Pak40's talking about the 'Hell in the Hedgerows' mission as there is no barbed wire in Ecausseville. ;)

Ooops, my bad. I only remember one stream crossing but then again it was about a year ago when I played RTB campaign. Oh, and Euro 2012 is in full swing so I'm quite distracted.