My 1st post

As Mike said in a different thread I have been a lurker for a very LLOOONNNGG time because I have been satisfied to read the posts from people much more knowledgable and wiser than myself. I do have a question that even an idiot can ask. My wargaming history is primarily with ASL and in more recent times with the Steel Panther games. I no have problem investing large amounts of time (I need to get a life) in playing a game. How long should one expect to play a tcp/ip game? My buddy and I played a 30 turn SP3 the other night that took over 7 hours to play. The AAR game was to be 60 minutes (turns). Assuming pretty fast computers, good connection speeds and an average amount of time watching the turns play out (and saying "WOW that looks so cool" while you're watching) is a 60 minute game going to take an entire weekend and 2 cases of beer to play? I figure it should be somewhat faster than igo/ugo because both players will be plotting at the same time so that cuts down on the time spent watching while the other player does his turn.

Thanks

(P.S I hope Simonfox isn't disappointed with me because I didn't beg for the demo)

------------------

I suppose Elvis that it depends upon your definition of a case of beer smile.gif

That having been said, there was some talk of a net timer being included in the game to force people to plot their moves within a reasonable period of time. If this is included, I assume it will be optional, rather like in West Front (I had it set to 15 minutes per turn in an online tournament and that worked out rather nice).

Tom

I assumed there would be a timer. With the SP3 game our timer is at 5 min per person. I guess the question is more about how time consuming it is to plot all your units. I understand from other posts that the interface is very easy to use but that doesn't necessarily mean you can plot all your units quickly.

Guest Big Time Software

Elvis has ENTERED the building (sorry, couldn't resist) smile.gif Welcome!

First, remember that both players plot/watch at the same time. This effectively cuts the time it takes to play the game in half. The beginning of the game takes more time than the end, so it is hard to say. Battle size also has a huge part in things too. Hmmm... 5 minutes is probably a good average. Some turns you will spend all 5 minutes just checking up on your guys and nudging an order here and there, but otherwise leaving what you had plotted from the turn before. This is especially true for the guy on defense, particullarly for the first 1/3 of the game.

Hope that answers your questions!

Steve