Walking in air...a definate bug

I'm sure BTS may already know this but I'm posting just to make sure. In fact it may already be fixed or only a problem in the beta demo but anyway...

I've had a rifle squad on the second floor of a building and given him a movement order directly from there to the second floor of another nearby building. Well, rather than walking down stairs, across to the other building and back up, they simply walked straight across and into the other building. The troops were literally floating in air.

Just to make sure I didn't imagine it, I sent them back again on the next turn and they did the exact same thing. It was a good 30-50 meters between buildings and they definately remained airborne the entire time. I checked from multiple camera angles, etc.

This is the only thing that I've yet to see in this "beta" demo that could be legitimately called a bug. Well done BTS on an outstanding game!

It has to do with the waypointing. The current waypoint system is concerned with "getting Unit A from Location X to Location Y via the shortest route."

The system is not yet smart enough (in this demo) to check the current location of Unit A for being on a second floor and, if so, to make Unit A go to the FIRST floor before exiting the building.

The result is that, if Unit A is on the second floor, the shortest route from X (on the second floor) to Y is a straight line regardless of where Y is, so you get units that move on a straight line from the second floor to the tree clump outside the front door.

This also applies to units moving from the second floor of one building to the second floor of an adjacent building. The movement system looks at the starting and ending spots and figures the shortest path between the two; it does not care if that path is above ground level.

The coding fix would be for the unit movement system to always check the starting location of a unit. If start=second floor, the system should insert a waypoint to move the unit from the second floor, to the first, and THEN out the front door and to wherever. I dunno how hard it would be to do this; judging from how the system already moves vehicles to get around impromptu, artillery-created roadblocks, it doesn't seem like it'll be impossible.

For now, I always try to remember to move units on the second floor to the first before moving them out of the building altogether. It's both an attention to detail on my part, and sorta practice for when/if BTS changes the movement system to move infantry from second floor to first and then out.

DjB

Guest Big Time Software

Yup, known bug. I think it is fixed already. These are the kinds of bugs that are VERY easy to fix. Also it is kinda funny to hear Charles report back "DOH!" when he reads about something like this wink.gif

Steve