CMBO Pz IV damage resolution

I read somewhere that someone thought the Pz IV was handicapted by the damage resolution in CMBO. I thought nothing of this until I had a fight with 4 Pz IV's against Stuarts and M8's. I was left with 1 tank and that was purely luck. They do seem weak, Panther's do to by the way. Can anyone explain the situation with the Pz IV's further? This game rocks when fully modded but it badly needs a campaign.

Penetrations by 37mm guns will occur quite a bit in CMBO due to the fairly good penetration at close ranges, but the rounds were small and solid shot so their damage potential is alot less than Sherman 75mm APCBC-HE.

The PzKpfw IVH turret front and the Panther side armor are fair game for Stuarts and other pesky little rascals using small guns with high muzzle velocities.

CMBO may not penalize 37mm penetrations with solid shot as much as it might.

One other point that CMBO may not fully consider is the use of face-hardened armor on the PzKpfw IVH front and the side hull of Panther D's and early A's, which would decrease the penetration (small rounds tend to penetrate alot more homogeneous armor than face-hardened).

CMBO was the first game in the series and the combat system has steadily improved over the years.