Ai Issue - God Like

I just have to bring up one thing that has appeared in the game that the AI does that is really wrong as to being realistic.

What I see from time to time is how tanks will swing their turrets to enemy locations of enemy units that they cannot see yet.

Most recent example, enemy tank moving through gully and behind building to tank, no possible line of sight. but tank turns it turret towards the threat, in less than 2 seconds of the enemy tank clearing the cover of the buildings, tanks fires and hits what should be a unknown threat.

Other example, In HtoH play, I have learned, that if any of my tanks swing their turret without my order to do so, even if I have no indications on the map at all. That for sure there is something out there in that direction and it is also likely some type of threat to my tank, now that might only be infantry.

but if it is, it is close enough that it is some type of threat.

So in other words, At times I see tanks do god like skills in knowing about units they should not.

Now I have played the game tons since it has come out, love it. But I have seen comments about how the AI should not have any special programming to make it better. But this happens on both sides, either computer or human

but it is programming that I think should be found and redone as to what is happening.

If someone that actually has the ability to do something about it cares, I do have the recent game turn that shows the one example.

I suspect what you are seeing is game feature related to C2, not a problem.

Hard to say exactly what is going on in the situations you mention without pictures and/or save game files, but one possibility to keep in mind is that units can learn about the location of enemy units they cannot actually see via the C2 net. So, even if a tank hasn't spotted or cannot see a certain enemy unit, the tank may still "know" about that enemy unit because a friendly unit has "told" the tank that they saw an enemy in that location recently. In this situation the tank may appropriately react by turning its turret in the direction of a suspected (but as of yet unspotted) enemy threat. You can check this by selecting the tank and noting what "?" contacts it has -- this will tell you what enemy it is aware of.

There is also another possibility: If a unit is currently out of C2, the game imposes an intentional delay between when the unit spots a new enemy (either fully resolved contacts or "?" contacts), and when that spotting info is shown to the player. In other words, if the tank is currently out of C2, the tank itself may actually be able to "see" (or at least have a partial "?" contact) to the enemy before you (the player) see it on your screen. So in the case of an out of C2 tank, you may see the tank turret rotate to engage a threat because the tank has already spotted an enemy that you, the player, will not see on the screen until some seconds later.

Bear in mind, too, that units can "spot" and get "?" contacts via sound. So if one tank is unbuttoned and stationary, it may hear an enemy tank before it sees it if the distance involved is relatively short. WWII tanks were REALLY loud when moving...

I suspect what you are seeing is game feature related to C2, not a problem.

Hard to say exactly what is going on in the situations you mention without pictures and/or save game files, but one possibility to keep in mind is that units can learn about the location of enemy units they cannot actually see via the C2 net. So, even if a tank hasn't spotted or cannot see a certain enemy unit, the tank may still "know" about that enemy unit because a friendly unit has "told" the tank that they saw an enemy in that location recently. In this situation the tank may appropriately react by turning its turret in the direction of a suspected (but as of yet unspotted) enemy threat. You can check this by selecting the tank and noting what "?" contacts it has -- this will tell you what enemy it is aware of.

There is also another possibility: If a unit is currently out of C2, the game imposes an intentional delay between when the unit spots a new enemy (either fully resolved contacts or "?" contacts), and when that spotting info is shown to the player. In other words, if the tank is currently out of C2, the tank itself may actually be able to "see" (or at least have a partial "?" contact) to the enemy before you (the player) see it on your screen. So in the case of an out of C2 tank, you may see the tank turret rotate to engage a threat because the tank has already spotted an enemy that you, the player, will not see on the screen until some seconds later.

Bear in mind, too, that units can "spot" and get "?" contacts via sound. So if one tank is unbuttoned and stationary, it may hear an enemy tank before it sees it if the distance involved is relatively short. WWII tanks were REALLY loud when moving...

Yes good points, and maybe in some areas of things I have seen maybe a possible answer.

it would help explain the inconsistantcy of seeing it happen within the game.

But I doubt that it has been the answer to all of the situations. First I recall that I have seen tanks turn to locations where no one on my side of the map has a ? marks for.

And hearing tanks in the game is not there, or if it is, does not work correct either. Because I have seen my infantry many times Have no indicator of any kind with enemy tanks moving by them within 50 meters. They should at least get a ? that something is moving by at that distances.

Second, A tanker would have to hear the enemy engine over his own, which he cannot unless it is shut down, not the case within the game, or maybe idle so I will give you a break there. But a tanker can do that at 500 meters and infantry cannot at 50. Face it, they do not have everything programmed into the game that is just like real life. So I would say sound is not a feature either, and if it is, then that programming could use some work on it to.

I generally do not get caught up in the fact the game functions as it does, I just try to determine how it functions and play accordanely.

But back to the original comment, I still feel that tanks have some funny behavior as to what they see when they should not.

Here is another one I just remembered that was really bad.

I had a tank moving down the road between two hedgerows at a quick pace.

It turns its turret to the right 90 degrees and as it is moving fires thru a gap in the hedge on a enemy tank 800 meters away and hits as it continued down the road. All this was done by the AI. I had no clue that it could been seen from there.Now by your comments, C2 could have played a role in that. But that is still very unrealistic and how the program works could and should be modified.