How About a BETA report?????????????

BTS,

OK, I've asked once, and I'll ask again. How about giving us some insight into how the BETA testing is going, eh? Maybe a brief paragraph or two describing the testing so far, problems / issues that have been raised by the testers, things being worked as a result of the testing, etc. I know you've mentioned some things here and there like the redo of the code for the 3Dfx drivers, etc. I'm just looking for more of an overall feel for how it is going and any other details you feel that you can share at this time.

Thanks in Advance. smile.gif

Regards,

Mike D

aka Mikester

Mike,

A couple of reasons why you won't see any insights into beta testing:

1. The NDAs.

2. Little issues and calls for tweaks etc are common in beta testing. However, as sure as night follows day if these minor issues (which are invariably fixed quickly) were mentioned on a public forum SOME people who don't understand fully what a beta test is would draw all the wrong conclusions and start thinking that the game will ship with those errors.

E.g. let's say one of the testers had posted.. "Hmm, doesn't work with my Voodoo card." Well, that would have caused quite a furore on the board with people drawing all the wrong conclusions and, probably, spreading incorrect rumours all over the net.

For those who say it wouldn't happen I say, I've seen it happen before wink.gif and I'll probably see it happen again wink.gif.

Anyways, the beta demo will be out soon so then you can all see for yourselves wink.gif. MUCH better than a beta report.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Scott Clinton

OHHHHMYYYYYGODDDD! ! !

Combat Mission won't work with Voodoo Cards!

oohhhh...wait a minute. I don't have a Voodoo card.

;)

------------------

The Grumbling Grognard

Gentlemen,

1) The message was directed to BTS, NOT THE BETA TESTERS THEMSELVES.

2) The request also specifically stated,

"I'm just looking for more of an overall feel for how it is going and any other details you feel that you can share at this time."

I didn't ask them, nor would I expect them, to air all of their "dirty laundry", things that might get people all "spun-up" over nothing, etc.!

In fact, I didn't expect anyone, but BTS, to respond to the thread.

Thanks,

Mike D

aka Mikester

Guest Big Time Software

Problem is Mike that Beta testing is really all about the "Dirty Laundry". So if we don't air that out, there is really not much left to say wink.gif

Testing is going fine. No major problems other than the Voodoo 2 thing (which is fixed). Standard run of the mill bugs and glitches. Scenarios are starting to come back from the testers and they are gooooooood!

I expect that the above will be the same story until we ship. If we haven't found anyting major wrong with the game by now there most likely isn't anything there to find. Just routine bugs and fixes, hopefully, until we are ready to ship.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the update! That's all I needed to hear, just a general sense of how are things going w/ the testing, etc. While I'd be curioius what kind of "bugs", etc., everyone might be finding, I can fully understand and support why you don't want to go into a "laundry list" of them here on the board. Hope to see the BETA demo out sometime soon. wink.gif It's been a long, long, wait lo these many months.

Regards,

Mike D

aka Mikester

LOL Scott wink.gif.

Mike,

Steve is right. It's ALL about dirty laundry. In a beta test it's all about dirty laundry wink.gif.

Obviously I'm not going to into anything like that but what I feel I can say is the following:

"You won't be disappointed. I've talked with a few other testers and they are all quite pleased with themselves for getting into the beta and are having fun and it's coming along nicely. Better at this stage than many other betas I've seen."

There, without being too specific you get a gist of what's up wink.gif. Of course this is exactly what NDAs are supposed to stop happening but I think Steve and Charles long ago realised I'd french-kissed the blarney stone once too often wink.gif hehe.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

BTS,

Looks like the big boys are taking your lead and focusing on releasing more solid code even before BETA.

Here is an e-mail from Diablo II regarding decision to delay the BETA:

Shortly after Tony's email, Max Schaefer posted a message in the Diablo II Battle.net forum, adding some more explanation to this:

"The announcement is true. And Diablo II will be better for the delay. As we finished up the beta, we realized that with all the hoopla and excitement of running the actual beta test, we ran the risk of compromising our efforts at finishing and refining the parts of the game that were not in the beta. This would result in unnecessary delays that might push the final product past the end of the year. Believe me, we really look forward to the beta test, since it will be the first time so many people get to experience and play Diablo II. The decision to delay it was not easy. We've put an incredible amount of time and effort into this product. The Diablo II team has been working seven days a week, into the wee hours of the morning for many, many months, and we're as ready to be finished as all of our valued customers are. After serious consideration and deliberation, we're very confident that delaying the beta will result in the game coming out sooner. Thank you all for your patience, and continued support. Knowing that there is such a great community eagerly anticipating our game is what keeps us going during the long hours.

Sincerely,

Max Schaefer

VP, Blizzard North."

Richard Kalajian

Seems the fellows at 'Combatism' enjoyed it and had alot to say about how well it ran!

I can't wait to take it for a spin although i just found some 'Mystery Charges' on my VISA and that's put me over the limit so no I can't bloody order it again!!

P** ME OFF..

Anycase

Combatism article was really great guys, it was nice to have a look at the editor, my mouth was salvating the whole time... wink.gif

SGTRock Stands at the craps table about to throw the dice..

Come on Baby! Daddy wants a BETA...

------------------

Sgt. Rock Says " War is Hell, but games are fun "

Guest Big Time Software

Blizzard has always been like this. They produce only one title every year (at MOST) and so they have to be VERY carefull with the quality. Remember how long StarCraft was delayed? It was because early testing, from what I heard, said that it felt too much like Warcraft II. So it was delayed (a year?) so that it could get a MAJOR reworking. Most companies would, at best, made some tweaks and shipped it out ready or not. Blizzard certainly is worthy of respect for this reason alone.

Steve