CM lockup....DirectX 7 uninstaller?

I was happily playing the demo, with no problems... until I decided to install DX7. After that the game would lock up 5 minutes into the game, or even at the setup phase.. I have a PII-400, 64meg ram, and an ATi All-in-Wonder 128 16meg video card. I know the problem isn't my hardware or drivers, it is the evil MS DirectX 7, anyone know of a utility that will uninstall it and let my system revert back to nice old stable DX 6?

I'll even play a PBEM game with you to show my gratitude....

von Manstein

I do know of one and will have to look the URL up but be VERY careful as this is a very dangerous procedure to perform if you don't know what you arew doing (editing Registry and such).

However this is EXACTLY why I DO NOT recommend anyone to install DirectX 7 UNLESS a game specifically requires it. Once it is there you can't get rid of it and in many cases early DirectX releases are buggy as hell...

------------------

Richard Arnesen

The Wargamer

http://www.wargamer.com

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I have random lockups in CM too, but

am using DX6.1 (no DX-7 yet).

Just typical components; Win-OSR2, Asus P2B-F MB, DX6.1, Celeron-433, Diamond Voodoo-2 with Mfg's latest drivers, 128mb ram, etc.

Wish there was an error message, but it just

locks up. I must re-boot. It locks up at least once per hour, sometimes more.

Running the game, I also have a -very- thin line of video "shimmering". It runs vertically, and on the very left edge of the screen.

Matt

-Teehole

Matt,

I am experiencing exactly the same problem: the demo locks up once a hour, when I am lucky smile.gif. It is extremely annoying to say the least.

I updated all the drivers, including my video card (Velocity 128-STB). I also installed DX7, and it had no good/bad effects so far.

I just hope not to experience the same problem with the game itself.

Karl