Victory Conditions Build Limits

I have only just completed my first game against the AI using a modified version of the Axis High Tide scenario. This has prompted a few questions for which I would appreciate answers.

The current Victory Conditions are couched entirely in territorial ownership terms. I am not suggesting that these should be changed but has anybody looked at what sort of MPP or unit destroyed disparity might also be considered in terms of house rules? As an example my modified game included giving the Germans an extra BB (Tirpitz) and the Japanese extra BB's and CV's to match their actual supremacy in the Pacific in June 1942. In the interests of game balance I added extra USN ships in the production pipeline and extra UK BBs and CVs. Whilst the Japanese managed to retain supremacy in the Pacific my Axis forces had no chance of obtaining naval supremacy in the vicinity of the UK so an invasion and capture of London was not feasible at least I did not feel I could usefully attempt it. Despite this my Axis forces had many successes conquering Russia, China, Turkey, India and Australia and amassed a huge ending MPP total of over 9,000 whilst the combined Allied MPPs were under 2500. The unit destroyed total also favoured the Axis by more than 2 - 1 being 300 to 130.

Has anybody used house rules' victory conditions by setting targets for MPPs and units destroyed?

Part of the problem I had in amassing such a huge volume of MPPs was because I was playing with build limits on. I am interested to know whether the build limit rule is intended to keep the game closer to historic outcomes or whether it is aimed at playability.

Finally I noted that my number of allowable new armies for Japan went significantly negative. This happened after a US warship approached the home islands and a load of defensive forces were automatically created. I cannot now remember whether I created a lot of additional armies for Japan but I do not think I did and certainly not to match the "-5" build number showing at the end of the game. Does this minus number have any effect, for example does it make repairs/replacements cost more for the units in the field?

Regards

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

Officially the victory conditions are territorial based as you've noticed but I can see the argument to also include something of a consideration regarding MPP balances and or unit destruction disparity... albeit considering those might be a bit more complicated.

I don't know of anyone using house rules for that either but it is certainly an interesting idea and probably one to try out if you can find a willing opponent :)

For the build limits it would be more or less to keep the game closer to historical capabilities but of course this can be disabled as desired.

For the negative build number this is likely due to several of these units arriving by UNIT script which by their nature, i.e. they may or may not appear due to the described script conditions do not take account of available builds so in the end may result in a negative number showing as you noticed in your game.

I hope this helps,

Hubert

Hi Hubert

Thank you for your answer. With respect to house rules re MPP's I guess a human opponent might have resigned in my trial game before being so heavily defeated which is one possible benefit of playing the AI. However, a significant disparity in MPP's and or units destroyed could be a way of determining who marginally had the better of a stalemate.

Looking at my other query, if the build number goes negative, apart from no more builds being allowed, is there any other deletorious effect such as higher repair costs for existing units of that type?

Regards

Mike