Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Newbie Questions

Just took a second look at SC GOLD (haven't tried SC since the very first version) and I must say the demo is absolutely incredible. Lots of fun and it's really obvious how far this game has come in the last decade. I didn't bite years ago, but now it's a no-brainer.

A couple of questions though before I take the plunge for the full game, hopefully tonight.

My computer currently has a 64M graphics card on it and I've been hunting around specifically for a WWII Grand strategy game that'll run on it. I'll be updating the computer in a year or so, so I'm not particularly interested in getting a new card for this one. The specs say 128M is required, but the GOLD demo ran flawlessly. Is there anything in the full version that'll change that? Anyone else playing with an older card?

The manual for the Gold demo has lots of advice and handholding for the German side through the early turns, but only a tiny bit on the Japanese. Just wondering if the manual has been updated a bit since release to improve the tutorial in that respect. If not, can anyone recommend a doc or thread on here that has some help for new players. Managing 3 Axis countries right off the bat on the big map is a bit overwhelming. Are there any smaller campaigns in the full game that don't use the whole map and all of the countries?

I'm somewhat in the same boat in that I am new to SC Global (but not SC2). My advise is to read the current beta tester AAR and also dig up earlier AARs from early on in the forum (you will have to change the bottom of the forum page to allow you to see all posts). This will provide you with examples of play.

China is very challenging to beat as the Japanese in Gold. You might want to start with non gold to get a feel for that first. I personally feel 'at sea' (har har) about making the full early japanese attacks eventually in the pacific. But will follow my own advise above and study AARs.

You will enjoy the game I'm pretty confident :-)

Hi Peter!

Welcome back and I'd say that if the game seems to run fine on your system via the DEMO then it will run the same with the full game as the DEMO is just a stripped down version of the full game feature/length wise but not any different performance wise.

For advise on how to possibly handle the Axis side I would recommend reading the AAR as it should give you some pretty good ideas on strategies and so on.

You can find it here:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=101553

Hubert

Just wanted to pop in to say that the game runs perfectly on older 64M graphic cards, and it is a total blast. I never got hooked by SC before, but this one has me. Very suspenseful and exciting.

I'm playing a campaign as the Allies just to see how the AI handles the Axis before trying it myself and I was worried there would be a lot of waiting and turns without much to do, but it's the opposite. Tons of decisions to make even with no US or Russia in the game yet.

It's truly magical to see the whole planet start out so quiet (well...except for the bloodbath that is China) with so few pieces on board and to slowly see countries wake up one by one and take their place on the stage. Also educational to see how one action leads to a consequence a little bit further down the line (I interdicted Norway's shipping to Germany and they joined the Axis very soon afterwards and the shipping path moved to a new location....beautiful!). You can read about stuff like that in the history books, but it's so much more memorable when it happens to you.